European roller ( Coracias garrulus )
|Forbes , 1884|
The whackebirds (Coraciiformes) or whackebirds are an order of very diverse, predominantly tropical and very colorful birds , which have different ways of life. They only have one feature in common: the toes often deviate from the norm, they are partially fused together.
The Handbook of the Birds of the World lists the following six rocket families:
- Kingfishers (Alcedinidae)
- Erdracken (Brachypteraciidae)
- Racken (Coraciidae)
- Bee-eater or spinach (Meropidae)
- Sawbacks or Motmots (Momotidae)
- Todis (Todidae)
The order was traditionally even broader and contained other externally diverse families. Since the turn of the millennium, phylogenetic studies have initially shown that the Kurol ( Leptosomus discolor ) is not a sackbill, but is systematically isolated and that the remaining sackbirds formed a paraphyletic taxon in relation to the woodpeckers (Piciformes).
The family relationships according to Hackett et al. shows the following cladogram :
The monophyly of the sackbirds is preserved by the establishment of the new order Bucerotiformes with the families hornbills , ground hornbills , hoopoes and tree hops . Rocket birds and woodpecker birds are sister groups , the common taxon is sister group of the Bucerotiformes, all three together are sister taxons of the Trogons (Trogonidae). The Kurol is the sister species of the four aforementioned orders.
- Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 6
- Per GP Ericson et al .: Diversification of Neoaves: integration of molecular sequence data and fossils . Biol. Lett. doi : 10.1098 / rsbl.2006.0523 PDF
- Hackett et al .: A Phylogenomic Study of Birds Reveals Their Evolutionary History . Science 27 June 2008: Vol. 320. no. 5884, pp. 1763–1768, doi : 10.1126 / science.1157704
- Frank Gill and Minturn Wright: Birds of the World: Recommended English Names. Princeton University Press, 2006, ISBN 0-7136-7904-2
- Wilfried Westheide & Reinhard Rieger : Special Zoology Part 2: Vertebrae or Skull Animals , 2nd edition. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg / Berlin 2009, page 462, ISBN 3-8274-2039-3
- John Harshman: Land Birds . Version June 27, 2008 in The Tree of Life Web Project