Richard Flanagan is the fifth of six children of an Irish Catholic family who settled in Tasmania in 1849. His father was a teacher and was used during the Second World War in Japanese captivity in the construction of the Thai-Burma death railway . Flanagan grew up in the village of Rosebery . He was educated in state schools until he left school at 16 and worked in the Australian bush. However, Flanagan took up his education again, went on a Rhodes Scholarship to Worcester College at the University of Oxford and completed his history here in 1991.
Flanagan is married with three children and currently resides in Hobart , Tasmania.
He has published six novels so far. The book Gould's Book of Fish won the 2002 Commonwealth Writers' Prize . In 2014 he received the Man Booker Prize for The Narrow Road to the Deep North , on which he had worked for twelve years .
Death of a River Guide , 1994
- Death on the River , Berlin Verlag, Berlin 2004, ISBN 3-8270-0478-0
The Sound of One Hand Clapping , 1997
- At the beginning of memory , 1998
Gould's Book of Fish , 2001
- Gould's Book of Fish , Berlin Verlag, Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-8270-0477-2
- The Unknown Terrorist , 2006
Wanting , 2008
- Mathinna , Atrium Verlag, Zurich 2009, ISBN 978-3-85535-135-0
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North , 2013
- First person . Chatto & Windus, 2017
- A Terrible Beauty: History of the Gordon River Country (1985)
- The Rest of the World is Watching (1990), as co-editor
Flanagan wrote the script and directed The Sound of one Hand Clapping , based on his novel of the same name. The film premiered at the 1998 Berlinale and was nominated for the Golden Bear for Best Film.
Honourings and prices
- First Fiction Award : Death of a River Guide
- Australian Booksellers Book of the Year Award : The Sound of One Hand Clapping
- Vance Palmer Prize for Fiction : The Sound of One Hand Clapping
- 1996 National Fiction Award : Death of a River Guide
- 2002 Commonwealth Writers' Prize : Gould's Book of Fish
- 2014 Man Booker Prize
- Literature by and about Richard Flanagan in the catalog of the German National Library
- Richard Flanagan in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- "Richard Flanagan: The Making of a Tasmanian Best-Seller" (Interview by Giles Hugo)
- Max Cullen: "A Question of Genius" ( Memento from September 4, 2006 in the Internet Archive ) In: ninemsn from March 9, 2003
- “Many hands clapping. An interview with Richard Flanagan "
- In conversation with Vladimir Balzer: Australian writer on bush fires: "The government is committing a historical crime" , deutschlandfunkkultur.de (January 2020)
- Wieland Freund : One life is not enough for that . Interview, in: The Literary World , January 9, 2016, p. 4
- Slap me in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung on January 10, 2016, page 44
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Miller Flanagan, Richard (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Australian writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1961|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Longford , Tasmania|