Hartshorne was a Putnam Fellow in 1958, studied at Harvard University with David Mumford and Oscar Zariski and in Paris with Jean-Pierre Serre and Alexander Grothendieck, and received his doctorate in 1963 from Princeton University with the dissertation Connectedness of the Hilbert Scheme with John Coleman Moore and Zariski . He was then a Junior Fellow at Harvard from 1963 to 1966 , where Grothendieck also held regular lectures and seminars. He was from 1966 assistant professor and later associate professor at Harvard and from 1972 associate professor at the University of California, Berkeley , at which he received a full professorship in 1974. He was visiting professor at the Collège de France in Paris and in Kyoto , where he lectured in Japanese.
In 1997 he solved Zeuthen's problem, which the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences had set as a prize task in 1901 (does every irreducible family of singularity-free space curves have limit curves that are composed of straight lines?) In a negative sense.
His textbook on algebraic geometry is a standard work. It uses Grothendieck's language of schemes . It also covers elliptic curves and algebraic surfaces and even the Weil conjectures . In 1979 he received the Leroy P. Steele Prize for this . His book Residues and Duality is based on a seminar for which he corresponded extensively with Grothendieck.
Hartshorne is married (to the psychotherapist Edith Churchill) and has two children. He plays the flute and is an experienced mountaineer.
- Algebraic Geometry . Graduate Texts in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag, New York 1977, ISBN 0-387-90244-9 .
- Geometry: Euclid and Beyond . Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag, New York 2000, 2005, ISBN 0-387-98650-2 .
- Families of Curves in and Zeuthen's Problem . Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society 1997, ISBN 0-8218-0648-3 .
- Ample Subvarieties of Algebraic Varieties . Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag 1970, ISBN 3-540-05184-8 .
- Foundations of Projective Geometry . Addison-Wesley 1967, ISBN 0-8053-3757-1 .
- Residues and Duality . Springer 1966, ISBN 3-540-03603-2 .
- Robin Hartshorne in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Homepage in Berkeley
- Conference on his 70th birthday
Sources and Notes
- Entry in American Men and Women of Science , Thomson Gale 2004
- His transcripts of Grothendieck's lectures on Local Cohomology at Harvard 1961 appeared in 1967: Local Cohomology . Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Springer-Verlag 1967, ISBN 3-540-03912-0 .
- Hartshorne: Memories of Grothendieck. Notices AMS, March 2016, p. 252
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hartshorne, Robert Cope|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 15, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Boston|