Sports information service
|Sports information service
|management||Rainer Finke (Managing Director) and Jens Wagner (Chief Operating Officer)|
|Number of employees||75 (2011)|
The Sport-Informations-Dienst (SID) is the largest German sports news agency . In May 2010, the company relocated from Neuss to Cologne and has since been located in the JP Bachem house on Ursulaplatz. The SID has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of the semi-public French news agency AFP since 1998 and employs around 75 permanent and hundreds of freelance employees at its headquarters in Cologne and in the editorial offices in Hamburg , Berlin , Frankfurt am Main and Munich . The management is shared by Rainer Finke and Jens Wagner. The editorial management consists of the football boss Ralph Durry (since 1998) and Cai-Simon Preuten (since March 1, 2019).
The SID was founded on September 15, 1945 by Alfons Gerz (1913–1995), who also gave the company a face for many years as editor-in-chief. The foundation goes back to a business and cultural press service that was started in the summer of 1945 by the Roebel press office in Düsseldorf and was expanded to include sports news from October 1 of that year. From April 11, 1946, this sports letter service appeared for the first time under the title "Sports Information Service", which was initially sent three times a week - analogous to the rhythm of the daily newspapers on the Rhine and Ruhr.
In 1972 the SID was legally and economically split off from the Roebel press office and reorganized into a GmbH. In 1997, the semi-public French news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP) took over the majority in SID from the family of the SID founder Alfons Gerz through its German subsidiary AFP GmbH. SID has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of the French news agency AFP since 1998.
Originally a pure word agency, the sports information service provided sports reporting services to all well-known sports editorial offices of daily newspapers as well as radio and television stations. SID's first customer was the radio broadcaster NWDR, founded in autumn 1945 . In 1962 a telephone announcement service for sport reports was set up. The traditional offer of the SID was expanded in 1996 to include the graphic display of messages; Since 1997 the SID has also been offering online services. In 2010 the company started producing moving images and selling sports photos.
The first SID branch office was founded in 1949 by Jupp Wolff and Werner Schneider in Hamburg, two years later a further branch office was set up in Frankfurt am Main, the management of which was initially taken over by Theo Bourquin. Since 1969 the SID has also had external offices in Munich and since 1983 in Berlin. The Leipzig branch office was closed in 2009.
In the beginning, the SID used the telephone lines of the British occupation forces. A separate distribution network was set up later, initially using Hellschreiber . From 1952, the SID was the first West German agency to switch to radio telex. Since the SID distribution network was underutilized, the Deutscher Depeschendienst (ddp) news agency, founded at the end of 1971, initially used these lines. The Catholic News Agency (KNA) also used the SID radio wave from 1963 to improve its distribution. The SID has been delivering its text service via a satellite news network since 1992, and delivery via FTP began in 2005 .
SID Sports Journalist School
In 2011, the SID founded its own sports journalism school, the first year of which began the 24-month training as a sports editor with eight volunteers in March 2011. The focus of the basic training is on teaching the basics such as research and press law, the classic craft of writing journalists and working as a video reporter.
SID Sportmarketing & Communication Services GmbH
In 2009 SID founded the wholly-owned subsidiary SID Sportmarketing & Communication Services GmbH (SID Marketing for short), which was merged with its sister company cosmos-pps Kommunikation GmbH in June 2011 . SID Marketing offers press and public relations as well as sports marketing for companies, organizers and associations in the sports business. SID Marketing is headed by Managing Director Pierre Klein.
- Sports information service
- SID channel on youtube
- SID Sportmarketing & Communication Services GmbH
- Sports press portal
- Klaus D. Schumilas: The charm of the media city. Relocation of the sports news agency. NGZ Online , October 28, 2009, accessed May 6, 2012 .
- Volker Koch: A trademark celebrates its birthday. 60 years of sports information service. (No longer available online.) RP Online , September 15, 2005, formerly in the original ; Retrieved May 6, 2012 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Alfons Gerz 65 years old , DTS magazine , 1978/10 p. 4
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from July 13, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from July 27, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.