Here the Djúpvegur runs , which connects the Steingrímsfjörður at Hólmavík with the Ísafjarðardjúp . The road is about 50 km long, reaches a height of 439 m and is the main connection between the capital Reykjavík and Ísafjörður . If possible, it is also kept open in winter.
In the past, people often got lost in the fog on the plateau rich in lakes. A famous story tells of a man who was found cold and hungry but alive after 15 days without food in 1774. The route was first driven by a car in 1937. The road was expanded until 1984 and paved in recent years.
- Vegahandbókin, Landmælingar Íslands, 2004, ISBN 9979-9750-0-8 .
- Steingrímsfjarðarheiði Weather and Traffic
- Steingrímsfjarðarheiði webcam facing west
- Steingrímsfjarðarheiði webcam facing east
- Photos and iceland. text
- Hæð nokkurra vega yfir sjó 22.12.2010. Retrieved January 10, 2020 (Icelandic).