Stephen J. Harrison
Stephen John Harrison (born October 31, 1960 ) is a British Latinist and Fellow and Tutor in Classics at Corpus Christi College , Oxford and Professor of Latin Literature at Oxford University .
Harrison mainly deals with Augustan poetry ( Virgil , Horace ) and the Latin novel of Apuleius , but also with the history of the reception of antiquity in Great Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries and the history of classical philology .
Harrison is Associate Editor, Latin Studies, of Bryn Mawr Classical Review, an electronic-only review organ of Classical Studies . In 2007 he was elected a member of the Academia Europaea .
- Generic Enrichment in Vergil and Horace (OUP, 2007)
- with John Hilton and Vincent Hunink: Apuleius: Rhetorical Works (OUP, 2001; repr. 2007)
- Apuleius: A Latin Sophist (OUP, 2000; repr. Pb. 2004)
- with M. Zimmerman, S. Panayotakis, VC Hunink, WH Keulen, Th. D. McCreight, B. Wesseling, D. van Mal-Maeder: A Commentary on Apuleius Metamorphoses IV.28-VI.24 (Egbert Forsten, 2004)
- A Commentary on Virgil , Aeneid 10 (OUP, 1991; repr. Pb. 1997, 2002)
- Living Classics: Greece and Rome in Contemporary Poetry in English (OUP, 2009)
- ROAM Lyne : Collected Papers on Latin Poetry (OUP, 2007)
- with S. Swain and Jas Elsner : Severan Culture (CUP, 2007)
- with SJ Heyworth and PG Fowler: Classical constructions: papers in memory of Don Fowler , classicist and epicurean (Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press 2007)
- The Cambridge Companion to Horace (CUP, 2007)
- with Michael Paschalis , S. Frangoulidis and M. Zimmerman: The Greek and the Roman Novel: Parallel Readings , (Groningen, 2007)
- Gian Biagio Conte : The Poetry of Pathos: Studies in Virgilian Epic (OUP, 2007)
- with Michael Paschalis and S. Frangoulidis: Metaphor and the Ancient Novel (Groningen, 2005)
- A Companion to Latin Literature (Blackwell, 2005; paperback 2006)
- Texts, Ideas and the Classics: Scholarship, Theory and Classical Literature (OUP, 2001)
- Oxford Readings in The Roman Novel (OUP, 1999; repr. 2004)
- Homage to Horace: A Bimillenary Celebration (OUP, 1995)
- Oxford Readings in Virgil's Aeneid (OUP, 1990; repr. Pb. 1998, 2001, hb 2002)
- Robin GM Nisbet : Collected Papers on Latin Literature (OUP, 1995)
- ↑ Directory of Members: Stephen J. Harrison. Academia Europaea, accessed November 10, 2017 .
|SURNAME||Harrison, Stephen J.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Harrison, Stephen John|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 31, 1960|