Gaddi was a son and student of Gaddo Gaddi, joined Giotto , his godfather, and worked as an independent master in Florence from around 1330. He surpassed his master in liveliness, but not in delicacy of coloring; his drawing is also more fleeting and often incorrect; it is also inferior to the latter in terms of characteristics, sensation and dignity.
His main work is the life of the Madonna in the Chapel Baroncelli in Santa Croce in Florence.
Also worth mentioning are: a triptych in the Berlin museum with Mary enthroned; a supper in Santa Croce; Madonna with Saints in Santa Trinita in Florence; a triptych in the Museum of Naples, dated 1366, Madonna with Saints; Fresco painting with scenes from the life of St. Francis in San Francesco in Pisa, where he worked in 1342.
The fact that Gaddi was also an architect is based on an uncertain tradition.
He died in Florence in 1366. He was the father of Agnolo Gaddi (also called Angelo di Taddeo), Giovanni di Taddeo († 1383), Niccolò di Taddeo, Francesco di Taddeo and Zanobi di Taddeo († 1400).
Selection of works
- St. Francis wakes up a boy (2 quadruple panels), 1333–1334, wood, 41 × 36 cm. Berlin, State Museums Foundation (West), Picture Gallery.
- The Death of the Noble by Celano (2 four-fold panels), 1333–1334, wood, 34 × 31 cm. Munich, Alte Pinakothek. (Remnants)
- God the Father and Satan (from scenes from the life of Job), 1341–1342, fresco. Pisa, Camposanto.
- Saints, 1340–1341, fresco. Florence, S. Miniato.
- Crucifixion of Christ, 1355–1360, fresco. Florence, Ognissanti . (removed)
- Crucifix, around 1340–1345, wood, 275 × 171 cm. S. Giorgio a Ruballa (near Florence), S. Giovanni Fuorcivitas.
- Bezel: Lamentation of Christ, around 1335, fresco, 204 × 210 cm. Florence, Museo dell'Opera.
- Bezel: Mary with Child, around 1328, fresco. Florence, Cappella Baroncelli.
- Mary with Child, around 1350, wood, 85 × 56 cm. S. Lorenzo Alle Rose (near Florence), S. Giovanni Fuorcivitas.
- Günter Arnolds (Red.): Painting of the Occident. A collection of pictures from early Christian to contemporary painting. FA Herbig publishing house, Berlin-Grunewald 1955.
- Bernd Curt Kreplin : Taddeo di Gaddo . In: Ulrich Thieme (Hrsg.): General Lexicon of Fine Artists from Antiquity to the Present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 13 : Gaab-Gibus . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1920, p. 29–33 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
- Ada Labriola: GADDI, Taddeo. In: Fiorella Bartoccini (ed.): Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani (DBI). Volume 51: Gabbiani-Gamba. Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana, Rome 1998.
- E. Neri Lusanna: GADDI, Taddeo. In: Enciclopedia dell'Arte Medievale. 1996 ( treccani.it ).
- August Rave: Christiformitas. Studies on the Franciscan iconography of the Florentine Trecento using the example of Taddeo Gaddi's former sacristy cabinet cycle in Santa Croce (= manuscripts for art history in the Werner publishing company. 2). Wernersche Verlagsgesellschaft, Worms 1984, ISBN 3-88462-901-8 .
- Giorgio Vasari : Vita di Taddeo Gaddi Fiorentino, pittore. In: Vasari: Le vite dei più eccellenti pittori, scultori e architetti. Newton Compton Editori, Rome 2010, ISBN 978-88-541-1425-8 , pp. 206 ff.
- Giorgio Vasari: The life of Taddeo Gaddi, Agnolo Gaddi, Buffalmacco, Orcagna, Spinello Aretino and Lorenzo Monaco. Newly translated into German by Victoria Lorini. Ed., Commented by introduced by Fabian Jonietz, Wolf-Dietrich Löhr and Johannes Tripps. Verlag Klaus Wagenbach, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-8031-5063-9 .
- List of works (selection) by Taddeo Gaddi of the Fondazione Zeri of the University of Bologna
- Frescoes in the Baroncelli Chapel (English)
- Bernd Curt Kreplin : Gaddi (painter family) . In: Ulrich Thieme (Hrsg.): General Lexicon of Fine Artists from Antiquity to the Present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 13 : Gaab-Gibus . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1920, p. 24–25 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Taddeo di Gaddo|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1290|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Florence|
|DATE OF DEATH||1366|
|Place of death||Florence|