Sonnewald studied biology from 1980 to 1986 at the University of Cologne, where he graduated with a diploma in biology under the direction of Ruth Ehring. He then moved to the Institute for Gene Biology Research at the Free University of Berlin, where he received his doctorate under Lothar Willmitzer after a research stay at the University of California, San Diego.
From 1989 to 1992 Sonnewald was a group leader at the Institute for Genetic Research. In 1993 he moved to the Institute for Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research in Gatersleben, where he headed the Molecular Plant Physiology group. In the same year he completed his habilitation in biochemistry at the University of Göttingen .
In 1998 he was appointed Head of the Department of Molecular Cell Biology at the Institute for Plant Genetics and Cultivated Plants and Professor for Cell Biology of Plant Systems at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg . In addition, he founded the plant biotechnology company SunGene together with a few colleagues in 1998 .
Sonnewald has been Professor of Biochemistry at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg since 2004 . Sonnewald's research focuses on molecular biology and plant physiology, physiology of the interaction between plants and parasites, and plant biotechnology.
- 1992: Federation of European Societies of Plant Physiology Award
- 2020: admission as a member of the Section of Organisms and Evolutionary Biology at the National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- Molecular biological changes in plant carbohydrate metabolism in transgenic plants , Göttingen 1993
- Construction and analysis of chimeric patatin genes with special consideration of the stability and subcellular compartmentalization of the patatin protein , 1989
- Textbook of botany - collaborators from 36th edition, 2008
- uni-erlangen.de: Chair of Biochemistry - Uwe Sonnewald
- Member Post by Uwe sun Forest in the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German biologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 30, 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cologne|