Volker Mehrmann (born April 24, 1955 in Detmold ) is a German mathematician.
After receiving his doctorate in 1982 under Ludwig Elsner and his habilitation on control theory in 1987 at Bielefeld University , he was a substitute professor at RWTH Aachen University from 1990 to 1992 . In 1993 he followed the call to the Technical University of Chemnitz and since 2000 he has been professor at the Institute for Mathematics at the Technical University of Berlin . From June 2008 to May 2016 he was elected spokesman for the DFG Research Center Matheon . From January 2011 to December 2013 he was President of the Society for Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (GAMM) . In 2011, the European Research Council (ERC) granted him an Advanced Grant on the subject of modeling, simulation and control of multi-physics systems .
Mehrmann is a member of the German Academy of Science and Engineering (Acatech) . In 2015 he gave a Gauss lecture and was awarded the Hans Schneider Prize for 2019 .
Volker Mehrmann's areas of work are numerical linear algebra , differential algebraic equations and control theory . Volker Mehrmann is co-editor of several journals, including Linear Algebra and Applications and Numerical Mathematics .
Mehrmann has published numerous articles and books, including
- The Autonomous Linear Quadratic Control Problem: Theory and Numerical Solution , Lecture Notes in Control and Information Sciences, No. 163, Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, 1991.
- With Matthias Bollhöfer: Numerical Mathematics. A project-oriented introduction for engineers, mathematicians and natural scientists , Vieweg Verlag, Braunschweig, 2004.
- With Peter Kunkel : Differential-Algebraic Equations. Analysis and Numerical Solution , EMS Publishing House, Zurich, Switzerland, 2006.
- Literature by and about Volker Mehrmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Volker Mehrmann's page at the TU Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 24, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Detmold|