|management||Michael Loeb , Frank Nielebock|
|sales||EUR 136 million (2017)|
The WDR media group GmbH (WDRmg) is the commercial subsidiary of the West German Radio (WDR). It markets and exploits WDR programs and content from other partners on all distribution channels. The core business is the marketing of advertising time for the WDR radio waves 1 Live and WDR 2 as well as the marketing of the TV sponsoring environment in Das Erste . Other business areas of the company include program sales , merchandising , accessible media services and extensive IT and broadcast services. Michael Loeb has been Managing Director of WDRmg since July 2008 . In May 2017, Frank Nielebock was appointed an additional managing director.
WDRmg goes back to Westdeutsches Werbefernsehen GmbH (WWF), which was founded in 1958 as a wholly owned subsidiary of WDR. When Das Erste began broadcasting television advertisements in 1959, WWF took over the marketing of the advertising times for the WDR's early evening program, which was broadcast as a regional program window on the Erste from Monday to Friday. With the extension of the evening program at the end of the 1960s, the proportion of advertising time marketed by WWF increased from initially 6 to 20 minutes per day.
In 1980 the live broadcast WWF Club started, which from then on offered the TV audience a mixture of music, sketches and interesting facts for ten years. When the WDR introduced radio advertising in 1987, the WWF also took over the marketing of the advertising times and changed its name to Westdeutsche Rundfunkwerbung GmbH. The abbreviation WWF was retained in order to preserve the brand that has now become established.
In 1993 the regional program windows were discontinued in the first, the advertising blocks could still be booked regionally and the West German radio advertising retained its mandate for the area of North Rhine-Westphalia. Since the company had opened up many other business fields in the course of time and had grown into a multimedia service provider, it was renamed WDR mediagroup GmbH in 2004.
Shareholdings and Daughters
- WDR mediagroup digital GmbH
- WDR mediagroup digital GmbH is a 100% subsidiary of WDR mediagroup. The company was founded in 1995 under the name Westdeutsche Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft as a wholly owned WDR subsidiary, and on July 1, 2009 it was renamed WDR mediagroup digital GmbH and assigned to WDR mediagroup. The company is based in downtown Cologne, close to the WDR. Today, WDR mediagroup digital is an IT and broadcast service provider. In addition to managed services in the IT workplace service and data center services, the portfolio includes the operation of automated digitization systems and the operation and support of IT infrastructures and application systems. In addition, WDR mediagroup digitally develops software concepts, web and app applications and offers broadcast services. In 2014 the company had an average of 268 permanent employees. In 2018, an average of 163 people were employed there.
- ARD-Werbung Sales & Services GmbH
- Bavaria Film GmbH
- Degeto Film GmbH
- German Broadcasting Center Brussels SPRL
- Consolidated financial statements for the 2017 financial year, published in the Federal Gazette .
- Frank Nielebock is co-managing director of WDR mediagroup , Blickpunkt Film, mediabiz.de, April 7, 2017
- WDR mediagroup digital GmbH , ard.de , accessed on April 7, 2020
- WDR mediagroup digital receives dual leadership: Joachim Bellinghoven new managing director , WDR mediagroup GmbH on presseportal.de, December 10, 2014
- Federal Gazette annual financial statements for the business year from 01/01/2018 to 12/31/2018