Waleryj Wiljamawitsch Zapkala ( Belarusian Валерый Вільямавіч Цапкала , Russian Валерий Вильямович Цепкало Valeri Wiljamowitsch Zepkalo * 22. February 1965 in Grodno , Byelorussian SSR ) is a Belarusian diplomat and businessman.
Zapkala was ambassador to the USA and Mexico. He became known as the founder of the Belarus Hi-Tech Park (HTP) in Minsk . In May 2020, he announced that he would run for the presidential election. “Of the 160,000 signatures that the economically liberal candidate submitted, only 75,000 have been recognized as valid by the election commission - 100,000 would be necessary,” reported the Wiener Zeitung on July 10th. As expected, he was not approved by the Central Electoral Commission. Zapkala's wife Weranika then decided to support the election campaign of the opposition candidate Svyatlana Zichanouskaya . Zapkala himself announced on July 24 that he had fled to Moscow with his sons after receiving information about plans for his arrest.
- Belarus ahead of exciting elections , DW, June 9, 2020.
- The Tiger of Minsk , Der Spiegel, December 19, 2009.
- A hot summer for Lukashenko , Wiener Zeitung, July 10, 2020.
- Presidential election in Belarus: Opposition candidate is not allowed to run , tagesschau.de, July 14, 2020.
- Belarusian opposition politician flees to Moscow with children , Spiegel Online, July 24, 2020.
- Цепкало сообщил о возбуждении против него уголовного дела , Kommersant , August 15, 2020.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Цэпкала, Валерый Вільямавіч (Belarusian); Zepkalo, Valery Williamowitsch; Tsepkalo, Valery|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Belarusian diplomat and businessman|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 22, 1965|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hrodna , Belarusian SSR|