After attending schools in the Engadine and Zurich, Haller studied law at the University of Zurich from 1958 to 1965 . With an elaborate in Stockholm dissertation on the Swedish Justitieombudsmann he was on 20 February 1965, to the legal and political science faculty of the University of Zurich summa cum laude Dr. iur. PhD . This was followed by the activity as a legal secretary at the District Court of Uster and at the Higher Court of the Canton of Zurich ; In 1967 he was admitted to the Zurich bar. After a year as a visiting research scholar at the University of Michigan Law School in 1969, Haller received his habilitation in 1971, while he was still working as a research assistant to Werner Kägi from 1970 to 1972 at the University of Zurich, with a thesis on the Supreme Court and politics in the USA . He received the venia legendi for the subjects of State and Administrative Law . This was followed by several years as Secretary General of the ETH Board until he was appointed Professor of Constitutional Law and Administrative Law, and later also Comparative Constitutional Law, at the University of Zurich in 1975. From 1990 until his retirement in 2004 Haller was director of the Institute for International Law and Foreign Constitutional Law. Continuation of scientific work after retirement, especially as an author of legal works, as well as teaching assignments at various universities.
- The Swedish Justice Ombudsman. A facility to strengthen legal protection and parliamentary control with regard to the behavior of administrative and judicial bodies , Zurich 1965, plus diss., Univ. Zurich.
- Supreme Court and Politics in the US. Questions of Justiciability in the Supreme Court Jurisprudence , Bern 1972, plus Habil.-Schrift, Univ. Zurich.
- together with Alfred Kölz and Thomas Gächter: Allgemeine Staatsrecht , 5th edition, Zurich / Baden-Baden 2013.
- together with Ulrich Häfelin , Helen Keller and Daniela Thurnherr : Schweizerisches Bundesstaatsrecht, 9th edition, Zurich 2016.
- The Swiss Constitution in a Comparative Context, 2nd ed., Zurich / St. Gall 2016.
- Website of Prof. Walter Haller
- Literature by and about Walter Haller in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 29, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Colombo , Sri Lanka|