Walter of Saint-Omer
Walter von Saint-Omer also Walter von Falkenberg (French: Gautier de Saint-Omer or Gautier de Fauquembergues , * around 1110, † 1174 ) was a Flemish crusader and Prince of Galilee by marriage . As such, he was also called Walter of Tiberias .
Walter's paternal grandfather, Wilhelm I of Saint-Omer and his son, Walter's uncle Hugo of Saint-Omer , had participated in the First Crusade . Hugo had stayed in the newly founded Kingdom of Jerusalem and made a career there as Seneschal of Jerusalem and Prince of Galilee . The co-founder of the Knights Templar Gottfried von Saint-Omer was probably also related to Walter.
Walter also made a pilgrimage to the Kingdom of Jerusalem, where he took part in the siege of Ashkelon in 1153 and married Eschiva von Bures , the heir to the Principality of Galilee , at the latest in 1159 . By their right he ruled as Prince of Galilee after the death of his father-in-law.
After his death in 1174, his widow married Count Raimund III. of Tripoli , who ruled the principality out of their rights. In 1187 the Principality of Saladin was conquered. Raimund died that same year. Walter and Eschiva's eldest son Hugo II carried on the title of Prince of Galilee.
Walter and Eschiva had four sons:
- Hugo II of Saint-Omer , titular prince of Galilee 1187–1204 ∞ Margarethe of Ibelin, daughter of Balian of Ibelin
- Wilhelm von Saint-Omer ∞ Maria, daughter of Rainer , constable of Tripoli, widow of Baldwin von Ibelin
- Rudolf von Saint-Omer (Raoul / Ralph), titular prince of Galilee 1204–1219 ∞ Agnes Garnier, daughter of Rainald Garnier , Count of Sidon
- Odo of Saint-Omer , constable of Tripoli, lord of Gogulat ∞ Fenie (Euphemia) Garnier, sister of Agnes Garnier
- André du Chesne: Histoire Genealogique des Maisons de Gvines, d'Ardres, de Gand, et de Covcy, et de qvelqves avtres Familles illustres qui y ont ésté alliées. Cramoisy, Paris 1631, ( digitized version ).
- Walter Falkenberg from St.-Omer at medieval-genealogie.de
- Gauthier de Fauquembergues at fmg.ac (English)
|Wilhelm II of Bures||
Prince of Galilee
(de iure uxoris)
|Raimund III. from Tripoli|
|SURNAME||Walter of Saint-Omer|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Walter of Tiberias|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Prince of Galilee|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1110|
|DATE OF DEATH||1174|