Calendar overview 1174
Baldwin IV. , After the death of his father I. Amalric
King of Jerusalem .
|1174 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||622/623 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1717/18 (southern Buddhism); 1716/17 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||64th (65th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||536/537 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||569/570 (August 1-2)|
|Jewish calendar||4934/35 (August 28-29)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1484/85 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1485/86 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1230/31 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- After Nur ad-Din's death from the Zengid dynasty , Saladin , the Ayyubid ruler of Egypt, occupies Damascus and declares himself ruler of Syria for his underage heir, As-Salih Ismail .
- July 11 : The 13-year-old to leprosy sufferers Baldwin IV. , After the death of his father Amalric I. King of Jerusalem . Count Raimund III. of Tripoli is entrusted with the reign for the minor. Due to the power struggle between Ayyubids and Zengids, the Crusader State lives in relative peace during this time.
- William I of Scotland is defeated by English troops at Alnwick while attempting to retake Northumbria from England . He himself is captured and only released again with the recognition of English sovereignty and a large amount of money.
- Emperor Friedrich I Barbarossa first moved from Alsace via Burgundy and the Mont-Cenis to Italy because he was unable to cross the Brenner Pass .
- Andrei Bogolyubsky , Prince of Vladimir-Suzdal and Grand Prince of Kiev , is murdered because of his high-handed behavior towards the other Rurikids and Boyars . After his death there were clashes between boyars and the residents of Vladimir , Rostov and Suzdal , who each propagated different candidates for successors.
- September 22nd : Otto II of Konstanz dies. His successor as bishop of Konstanz is Berthold von Bussnang selected.
- October 3 : After the death of Heinrich I, Roman von Leibnitz is elected Bishop of Gurk by the clergy and people and consecrated by the Patriarch of Aquileja.
- The Oelinghausen monastery is founded.
Exact date of birth unknown
Born around 1174
- William d'Aubigny, 3rd Earl of Arundel , English magnate († 1221 )
- Edmund of Abingdon , English university professor and clergyman († 1240 )
- Sava of Serbia , Orthodox bishop († 1236 )
Date of death secured
- January 18 : Vladislav II , Bohemian Duke, who secured the title of king for himself and his empire (* around 1110 )
- May 15 : Nur ad-Din , member of the Zengid dynasty (* 1118 )
- July 11th : Amalrich I , King of Jerusalem (* 1136 )
- July 16 : Walter von Mortagne , teacher of theology and philosophy and Bishop of Laon (* before 1100)
- September 22nd : Otto II , Bishop of Constance
- October 3 : Heinrich I , Bishop of Gurk
- October 30th : Frederick of La Roche , Bishop of Acre, Archbishop of Tire and Chancellor of the Kingdom of Jerusalem
Exact date of death unknown
- Andrei Bogoljubski , Russian Grand Duke of Kiev, Suzdal and Vladimir (* 1111 )
- Cynan ab Owain , Welsh ruler
- Miles of Plancy , Seneschal and Bailli of the Kingdom of Jerusalem
- Peter von Tarentaise , Cistercian Abbot and Bishop (* 1102 )
- Walter von Saint-Omer , Flemish crusader and Prince of Galilee (* around 1110)
- Wilhelm Dorel , Lord of Batrun
Died around 1174
- Iorwerth Drwyndwn , Lord of Gwynedd