- 1162 : Friedrich Barbarossa conquers Milan and has it completely destroyed.
- February 17, 1164 : 20,000 people die in the Julian flood on the North Sea coast, a preliminary stage to the Jade Bay is created.
- 1164 to 1166 : Large parts of Swabia are devastated by the Tübingen feud .
- In 1164, 1167 and 1168 crusaders from the Kingdom of Jerusalem invade Egypt unsuccessfully under King Amalrich I.
- 1167: Friedrich Barbarossa conquers Rome ; a subsequent epidemic in his army prompted him to flee to Germany. The newly founded Lombard League of Cities defends itself against the imperial policy.