Calendar overview 1163
|Paris the construction of the cathedral begins Notre-Dame de Paris .|
|1163 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||611/612 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1706/07 (southern Buddhism); 1705/06 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||64th (65th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||525/526 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||558/559 (November 29-30)|
|Jewish calendar||4923/24 (August 30/31)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1473/74 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1474/75 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1219/20 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Bad Oldesloe , Céligny , Marin-Epagnier , Rheineck , Sassel , Unlingen and Wunsiedel were first mentioned in a document
Science, religion and culture
- That of Pope Alexander III. Council of Tours convened forbids clergymen to perform surgical operations. The surgery is then as "inferior medicine " by the universities banished and only by baths and barbers exercised. Moreover, at the council the Cathars are condemned as heretics .
- In Paris , the construction of the Notre-Dame Cathedral begins under Bishop Maurice de Sully and King Louis VII .
- Wilbrand I of Loccum mouth-Haller , the foundation initiated a monastery of Cistercian in Loccum .
- Margrave Ottokar III. founds the Vorau Abbey .
- In the Byzantine Empire, Emperor Manuel I Komnenos introduced the title of despot as the second highest honorary title after the basileus . The titles Sebastokrator and Kaisar fall back to third and fourth place in the Byzantine court ceremony .
Exact date of birth unknown
- Abd al-Latif al-Baghdadi , Arab traveler, polymath, historian and physician († 1231 )
- Bernard Itier , French clergyman and chronicler († 1225 )
- Hermann I von Buxthoeven , Bishop of Estonia († 1248 )
- Hōjō Yoshitoki , Japanese ruler († 1224 )
- Ottokar IV. , Duke of Styria († 1192 )
- as-Salih Ismail , Zengid ruler in Syria († 1181 )
Born around 1163
Date of death secured
- January 14th : Ladislaus II , Hungarian rival king (* 1131 )
- June 2 : San Juan de Ortega , Spanish saint and bridge builder (* around 1080 )
- August 13 : Gerold von Oldenburg , Bishop of Oldenburg
- September 29 : Sigurd Sigurdsson Markusfostre , Norwegian king-designate
- December 26 : Ulrich I von Dürrmenz , Bishop of Speyer and Chancellor under Emperor Friedrich I.
- December 29th : Stephan von Bar , Bishop of Metz
Exact date of death unknown
- Abd al-Mumin , first caliph of the Almohads (* around 1094 )
- Arnaud de Comps , Grand Master of the Order of St. John
- Ebo , German monk and biographer
- Emelrich , Archbishop of Lydda (* around 1100 )
Died around 1163
- Roger de Vautort , English nobleman