Calendar overview 1080
elected antipope of Gregory VII .
|1080 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||528/529 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1623/24 (southern Buddhism); 1622/23 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||62nd (63rd) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||442/443 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||458/459 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||472/473 (June 21/22)|
|Jewish calendar||4840/41 (September 16/17)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1390/91 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1391/92 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1136/37 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Holy Roman Empire and Investiture Controversy
- January 27 : In the battle of Flarchheim , the knight armies of King Heinrich IV and the rival king Rudolf von Rheinfelden meet. There is no clear winner in the battle, which was marked by a heavy blizzard and extreme cold.
- October 15 : King Heinrich IV loses the Battle of Hohenmölsen against Otto von Northeim ; the king flees. But the anti-king Rudolf von Rheinfelden dies on the day after the battle from the wounds he has suffered.
- Second banishment of Henry IV by Pope Gregory VII.
- Archbishop Wibert of Ravenna is called Clement III. elected antipope .
Kingdom of England
- The Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia is under Ruben, Lord of the Mountain , regardless of the Byzantine Empire under Emperor Nikephoros III. The capital is Sis .
City foundations and first documentary mentions
- First documentary mention of Beutelsbach , Cressier , Härkingen , Iffeldorf , Münchenwiler , Neckarkatzenbach , Pulkau and Thalebra
- around 1080: Hof is a farming community Rekkenze founded
- The Sekhar-Guthog Monastery , a monastery of Kagyu -Schultraditionen of Tibetan Buddhism in the circle Lhozhag is founded.
- June 5th : The first cathedral is consecrated in the Diocese of Skálholt in Iceland .
- Reinward becomes Bishop of Minden after his predecessor Egilbert died on December 1st .
Historical maps and views
Exact date of birth unknown
- Cellach Mac Aodh , Archbishop of Armagh († 1129 )
- David I , King of Scotland († 1153 )
- Theresa of León , first queen of Portugal († 1130 )
Born around 1080
- Edith of Scotland , first wife of Henry I of England († 1118 )
- William de Ste Barbe , Anglo-Norman clergyman and Bishop of Durham († 1152 )
- Aubrey II. De Vere , English nobleman († 1141 )
- Norbert von Xanten , founder of the Premonstratensian Order († 1134 )
- Otto I. von Salm , Count of Rheineck and Count Palatine near Rhine († 1150 )
- Heinrich Zdik , diplomat, bishop of Olomouc and participant in the 2nd crusade († 1150 )
Date of death secured
- January 26 : Amadeus II , Count of Savoy (* around 1030 )
- April 17th : Harald Hen , King of Denmark (* 1041 )
- July 5 : Ísleifur Gissurarson , first bishop of Iceland and Greenland (* 1006 )
- August 3 : Wernher , Abbot of St. Lambrecht
- October 15 : Rudolf von Rheinfelden , Duke of Swabia, anti-king in the Holy Roman Empire (* around 1025 )
- December 1st : Egilbert , Bishop of Minden