Calendar overview 1179
Alexander III recognizes the Kingdom of Portugal with the bull Manifestis probatum .
|1179 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||627/628 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1722/23 (southern Buddhism); 1721/22 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||64th (65th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||541/542 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||574/575 (June 7/8)|
|Jewish calendar||4939/40 (2/3 September)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1489/90 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1490/91 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1235/36 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- May 23 : Pope Alexander III. With the bull Manifestis probatum confirms the independence of Portugal from the Kingdom of León or Galicia and the Count Afonso Henriques as King Afonso I of Portugal .
- August 24th to 30th : The Ayyubids under Saladin defeat the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Knights Templar in the battle of Jacob's ford . The crusader castle Chastellet , which is just under construction , will be destroyed down to the foundation walls.
Holy Roman Empire
First documentary mentions
- First documentary mention of Alttann , Anières , Dottikon , Eschert , Furtwangen in the Black Forest , Pleigne , Ramsach , Seelbach , Tannenkirch , Sornetan , Tennenbronn with the church , Undervelier and Welschenrohr
- March 5 : The Third Lateran Council is held in the presence of about 300 bishops by Pope Alexander III. opened: In the Roman Church this council is the 11th ecumenical council . In addition to some representatives from the Latin East , an envoy from the Greek Church is also present. The council was preceded by a schism that lasted for decades .
- After three meetings on March 5, 14 and 19, 27 canons are passed: Among other things, a two-thirds majority of the cardinals is set as the quorum for the papal election , and the appointments are made by the opposing popes Victor IV and Calixt III. canceled.
- September 29th : Lando von Sezze is named Innocent III. Antipope to Pope Alexander III. His pontificate is not very important because Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa , whose conflict with Alexander III. which has nurtured over twenty years of schism , the legitimacy of the pontificate of Alexander III. already recognized in the peace treaty of Venice in 1177.
- Theodosios I Barradiotes becomes Patriarch of Constantinople .
- Konrad I von Geroldseck becomes Prince-Bishop of Strasbourg after the death of Rudolf von Rothweil .
- Christian II von Bolanden , Archbishop of Mainz († 1253 )
- Snorri Sturluson , Icelandic poet and historian († 1241 )
- William IV , Count of Ponthieu († 1221 )
Date of death secured
- January 31 : Frederick I , Bishop of Prague (* around 1117 )
- April 22nd : Humfried II of Toron , vassal and official of the Kingdom of Jerusalem (* 1117 )
- June 18 : Erling Skakke , Norwegian nobleman (* 1115 )
- July 14 : Richard de Luci , English civil servant
- July 20 : Wilhelm , Count of Aumale
- August 7th : Wilhelm VI. , Count of Angoulême
- August 9 : Roger , Anglo-Norman clergyman (* around 1134 )
- August 17th : Roman von Leibnitz , Bishop of Gurk
- September 17th : Hildegard von Bingen , mystic; Author of theological and medical works; Composer of sacred songs (* 1098 )
- December 11 : David von Himmerod , Italian-German monk and mystic (* around 1100 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Rudolf von Rothweil , Prince-Bishop of Strasbourg