Calendar overview 1172
Sebastiano Ziani becomes
Doge of Venice .
|Béla III. becomes king of Hungary , Croatia , Dalmatia and Rama .|
|1172 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||620/621 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1715/16 (southern Buddhism); 1714/15 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||64th (65th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||534/535 (turn of the year April)|
|Islamic calendar||567/568 (August 22-23)|
|Jewish calendar||4932/33 (September 20/21)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1482/83 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1483/84 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||1228/29 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
Kingdom of Hungary
- March 4th : Stephan III. dies at the age of 25, presumably poisoned. His brother Béla III. becomes king of Hungary , Croatia , Dalmatia and Rama . Because of his good relations with the Byzantine Empire , not the entire nobility is behind him, some prefer the third brother Géza. Béla has this captured and imprisoned.
Republic of Venice
- May 28 : The Venetian doge Vitale Michiel II is stabbed to death by Marco Casolo in the lagoon city near the church of San Zaccaria . The Doge is assumed to be responsible for the defeat in a campaign of revenge against Byzantium . The presumably confused perpetrator is brought to justice, sentenced to death and executed.
- Six months later, Sebastiano Ziani became the new Doge of Venice. When he took office, the republic was heavily indebted because of the disputes with Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa , who put the city under pressure with a trade ban in 1162 , because of the costs for the anti-imperial city union and because of the conflict with the Byzantine emperor. Ziani tries to prevent unrest among the population by limiting the prices of basic foodstuffs. When he took office, he allegedly demonstrated his wealth by throwing gold coins among the people.
Religion, culture and society
- In Portugal , under the House of Braganza, the Order of the Wing of St. Michael is founded.
- To protect Christian pilgrims in Castile , Aragon and the Kingdom of Jerusalem , Count Rodrigo Álvarez de Sarriá, a knight of the Order of Santiago , founded the Order of Montjoie .
- Brother Wernher wrote Drui liet von der maget (Three Songs of the Virgin), the first important German-language life of the Virgin Mary .
- February / March: Konrad II , Duke of Rothenburg and Duke of Swabia († 1196 )
- April 5 : Rostislaw II , Grand Prince of the Kievan Rus († 1218 )
Date of death secured
- February 29 : Cadwaladr ap Gruffydd , Welsh Prince
- March 4th : Stephan III. , King of Hungary, King of Croatia, Dalmatia and Rama (* 1147 )
- May 28 : Vitale Michiel II , Doge of Venice, murdered
- June 20 : Wilhelm III. , Count of Ponthieu (* around 1095 )
- July 17th : Konrad I. von Riddagshausen , Bishop of Lübeck
- October 14 : Ludwig II , Landgrave of Thuringia (* 1128 )
Exact date of death unknown
- Dietrich II./IV. , Count of Kleve
- Dulcia II , Countess of Provence (* 1165 )
- Girard II , Count of Rosselló
- John IV , Bishop of Olomouc
- Ibn Mardanīsch , Muslim prince of Valencia (* 1124 )
- Rapoto von Abenberg , Bamberger Hochstiftsvogt (* 1122 )
- Tigernán Ua Ruairc , King of Bréifne in Ireland
- Wilhelm I , Vice Count of Béarn
- Woizlawa , mistress of Mecklenburg