William Emerson Bull
Live and act
In 1936 he acquired the academic degree from the University of Wisconsin a BA and in 1940 the MA by a doctoral thesis in literature . In Wisconsin he worked with Dwight Le Merton Bolinger (1907-1992) a Romanist and Hispanicist. This was followed by teaching activities in Iowa at the University of Iowa and in St. Louis ( Missouri ) at Washington University . Then in 1949 he received a call for research and teaching at the University of California at Los Angeles , most recently as Professor of Spanish Linguistics and Teaching Methodology . He was responsible for the areas of Spanish language, methodology and didactics . In 1958 he is listed as an " Associate Professor of Spanish". Bull introduced concepts from mathematics and physics to speech analysis.
He was married to Helen May Bull and had three sons Jan Emerson Bull, Guy William Bull and Kay Sather Bull.
- Semejança del mundo: a Spanish geography book of the thirteenth century. Thesis (MA), University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1936.
- Spanish for Teachers: Applied Linguistics. The Ronald Press Company, New York 1965
- Time, Tense, and the Verb. A Study in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, with Particular Attention to Spanish. University of California Press, Berkeley / Los Angeles 1960; 4th edition 1971, University of California Publications in Linguistics, Vol. 19, ISBN 0-520-00189-3 .
- Spanish for communication. Houghton Mifflin, Boston 1972
- Clarín's Literary Internationalism. Hispanic Review, 16 (1948), 321-334
- Modern Spanish verb-form frequencies. Hispania (1947) 30: 451-466
- Spanish Adjective Position: The Theory of Valence Classes. Hispania (1954) 37, pp. 32-38
- Togeby, Knud: Mode, aspect et temps en espagnol. (Review), Romance Philology (1957) 11: 48-58.
- S. Saporta: William E. Bull: Time, Tense and the Verb. A Study in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, with particular Attention to Spanish. (Review), Hispanic Review (1961) 29: 266-269.
- William E. Bull (1909-1972), Core
- William Emerson Bull, Spanish and Portuguese: Los Angeles 1901-1972 Professor. University of California. John E. Englekirk, Claude L. Hulet, Robert P. Stockwell
- Harro Stammerjohann: Lexicon Grammaticorum: A bio-bibliographical companion to the history of linguistics. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin 2009, ISBN 3-4849-7112-6 , p. 226
- Barry L. Velleman: William E. Bull (1909-1972) y la enseñanza del español como lengua extranjera. Revista argentina de historiografía lingüística, I, 1, 77-99, 2009 ( Memento of March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- EFK Koerner: First Person Singular II: Autobiographies by North American scholars in the language sciences. Vol. 61, Studies in the History of the Language Sciences, John Benjamin Publishing, 1991, ISBN 9-0272-7770-2 , p. 22
- Register - University of California. Volume 1 University of California, Berkeley University of California Press, 1958, p. 373
|SURNAME||Bull, William Emerson|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bull, William E.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American Hispanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th October 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sun Prairie, Wisconsin|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 26, 1972|
|Place of death||los Angeles|