Wim Delvoye (* 1965 in Wervik ) is a Belgian conceptual artist. His focus is on the representation of aesthetic opposites, in which he, characterized by irony, wit and humor, often combines decorative elements with everyday functions and thus questions the common value systems of consumer society.
(external web links)
In one of his most famous works, Cloaca , a machine that simulates the human digestive process, after several years of research and with the help of scientists, he succeeded in recreating one of the internal functions of the human body and producing excrement that cannot be visually distinguished from human excrement . These are then, shrink-wrapped in foil and packed in a transparent cuboid, sold as works of art. The film bears the lettering "Cloaca".
Another focus of his work is tattoos on pigs and people. The work TIM , a back tattoo of the Swiss Tim Steiner with a skull and Madonna, was sold in 2008 to the German art collector Rik Reinking for 150,000 euros. Tim Steiner has committed himself to present the work of art for three to four weeks annually for this sum. After his death, the skin is given to the buyer or his heir.
As part of the art show Art Safari on Arte , the director Ben Lewis had himself tattooed. The motif, which one of the pigs tattooed by Wim Delvoye also bears, shows a crucified Mickey Mouse . Delvoye's signature mimics the Disney lettering.
In his steel sculptures he uses filigree Gothic structures for objects such as concrete mixers and rockets .
- 2015: Skin Stories. art gallery fürth (group exhibition)
- 2015: tattoo. Museum of Arts and Crafts Hamburg (group exhibition)
- 2011: Knockin 'on heaven's door, Brussels
- 1999: Biennale di Venezia
- 1992: Documenta IX
- Wim Delvoye: Cloaca. New & Improved. New and Improved Cloaca , Recta Publishers, 2001.
- Wim Delvoye: Pigs , Exhibitions International, 1999.
- Fabian Stech : J'ai parlé avec Lavier, Annette Messager , Sylvie Fleury , Thomas Hirschhorn , Pierre Huyghe , Delvoye, DG-F. Hou Hanru, Sophie Calle , Ming , Sans et Bourriaud. Interviews . Les presses du réel, Dijon 2007.
- Andreas Beyer : Ornament and Crime. You can love this artist - or hate him: The sprawling work of Belgian Wim Delvoye is beyond comparison. In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. August 10, 2017, accessed January 5, 2018 .
- Literature by and about Wim Delvoye in the catalog of the German National Library
- Materials by and about Wim Delvoye in the documenta archive
- Article about Wim Delvoye's tattooed pig campaign in Vice Magazine
- Article “Wim Delvoye: from cloaca to cathedral” on d-sites.net
- Article “ More beautiful digestion with Wim Delvoye” on kunsttexte.de , 3/2009.
- ^ Photo by Dirk Pauwels, artnet 2008
- ↑ a b c Photo by Christoph Neerman, artnet 2008
- ^ Photographs on the Wim Delvoye Official Website
- ↑ "The art of mess. The Belgian Wim Delvoye tattoos the back of a pig - and ends up in the great museums of the world" , NRZ AM SONNTAG November 30, 2008
- ↑ http://www.galerieperrotin.com/artiste-Wim_Delvoye-7.html
- ↑ Silvia Becker on January 29, 2015 in Hamburger Morgenpost : Whirl around this tattoo pig
- ↑ http://www.bozar.be/activity.php?id=8613&
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Belgian contemporary artist (installations, objects, painting)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1965|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wervik , Belgium|