After studying abroad in the United States , Nishimura joined Studio Ghibli in 2002 . His first post was in the 2004 film Howl's Moving Castle , where he was responsible for copyright . He then worked on other Ghibli productions such as Die Chroniken von Erdsee (2006) and Ponyo - The Great Adventure by the Sea (2008) in marketing . From 2006 he worked together with director Isao Takahata for the 2013 film The Legend of Princess Kaguya as a producer. The project was very successful for Nishimura in several ways: At the Asia Pacific Screen Awards , the film won the prize for the best animated film, and it was nominated for the 2015 Oscar for “ Best Animated Feature Film ”, but was subject to the production of Baymax - Huge Robowabohu . In 2014 he became the lead producer of Studio Ghibli. The first film in the function was Memories of Marnie , which he co-produced with Hiromasa Yonebayashi . This was also nominated for an Oscar in the category “Best Animated Feature Film”.
In April 2015, Nishimura left Studio Ghibli and founded Studio Ponoc . His first production, Mary and the Witch's Flower ( メ ア リ と 魔女 の 花 , Meari to Majo no Hana ; English Mary and the Witch's Flower ) was released in July 2017, and Nishimura was the producer.
- 2013: The Legend of Princess Kaguya ( Kaguyahime no monogatari )
- 2014: Memories of Marnie ( Omoide no Mānī )
- 2018: Mary and the witch's flower ( Meari to Majo no Hana )
- cinemcafe.net - ジ ブ リ 新 時代 を 担 う “西村 義 明” っ て ど ん な 人？ 『か ぐ や 姫 の 物語』 ＆ ＆ 新 作 を プ ロ デ ュ ー ス (Japanese), accessed September 23, 2018
- メ ア リ と 魔女 の 花 (Japanese), accessed July 13, 2017
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||西村 義 明 (Japanese)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Japanese film producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 25, 1977|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tokyo prefecture|