Journal of Old Testament scholarship
|Journal of Old Testament scholarship
|Area of Expertise||Old Testament / Hebrew Bible / Tnach|
|language||German English French|
|publishing company||de Gruyter (Germany)|
|Frequency of publication||4 times a year|
|Sold edition||2500 copies|
|editor||Jürgen van Oorschot , Jan Christian Gertz|
The Journal for Old Testament Studies (ZAW) is a specialist theological journal and was founded in 1881 by Bernhard Stade . She deals with theological, linguistic and historical problems of the Old Testament of the Bible .
The journal is a scientific, since its founding historical-critical traversed exegesis committed. It was first published by Verlag Töpelmann , Berlin, then by Verlag Ricker , Gießen, and now by Verlag Walter de Gruyter , Berlin / New York as a print version ( ) and Internet version ( ).
The originally Protestant- oriented magazine has long understood itself as non-denominational and publishes scientific articles by Protestant, Catholic and Jewish researchers or by ancient orientalists on the Old Testament in German, English or French. The magazine appears annually in four issues. The editors are currently (January 2015) Jürgen van Oorschot and Jan Christian Gertz . Earlier editors included Bernhard Stade , Karl Marti , Hugo Greßmann , Johannes Hempel , Georg Fohrer , Otto Kaiser , Hans-Christoph Schmitt and Ernst-Joachim Waschke . In addition to articles, there is an overview of recent books and magazines.
Its sister publication is the somewhat more recent journal for New Testament science .
The supplements to the Journal for Old Testament Science (BZAW, John Barton , Reinhard Gregor Kratz , Nathan MacDonald, Sara Milstein and Markus Witte , have been published as a series of monographs since 1896 .), edited by
- Karl Albrecht : Register for the journal for Old Testament science, Volume I – XXV 1881–1905. Giessen 1910.
- Manfred Weippert: Register for the journal for Old Testament science. Vol. 26-50 (N.F. 9) 1906-1932. Berlin 1970.
- Thomas Pola : Register for the journal for Old Testament science. Volumes 51 (1933) - 75 (1963). Berlin u. a. 2003, ISBN 978-3-11-014326-3 .
- Cornelia Weber: Old Testament and the Volkish Question. The biblical popular term in Old Testament science of the National Socialist period, illustrated using the example of Johannes Hempel (= research on the Old Testament. Volume 28). Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2000, ISBN 3-16-147102-4 (Zugl .: Heidelberg, Univ., Diss., 1998).
- ZAW media data. (PDF; 50 kB) (No longer available online.) In: degruyter.com. January 1, 2013, archived from the original on October 31, 2013 ; accessed on October 9, 2019 . - After that, the edition will no longer be named or upon request, DeGruyter Mediadaten 2018. (PDF; 87 kB): In: degruyter.com, accessed on October 9, 2019.
- Another Abbreviations documenting journal database : ZATW, Z ALTT W, Z Old Wiss, see , accessed on 9 October of 2019.
- The names of the editors are given on the information page of the de Gruyter publishing house, accessed on July 26, 2020.