Zoltan Korda was born in Hungary in 1895 and served as a cavalry officer in the Hungarian army. His family later moved to England and Zoltan Korda became a British citizen in 1945.
He began his cinematic career as a cameraman and editor before he took on directing work in the production company of his older brother Alexander Korda in London . While Alexander developed into a loyal subject of the British Crown and was already in 1942 by King George VI. was knighted, Zoltan followed liberal ideals, which led to tensions between the brothers.
As a director, Zoltan Korda celebrated his greatest successes with literary adaptations: in 1942 he directed Rudyard Kipling's jungle book , in 1947 The Macomber Affair based on Ernest Hemingway (with Gregory Peck in the leading role) and in 1951 Alan Paton's socially critical drama Because They Should Be Comforted . In 1940 he worked as an assistant director on the adventure film The Thief of Baghdad .
Zoltan Korda was married to the British actress Joan Gardner (1914–1999) from 1930 until his death . His sons were also active in the film business, David Korda (* 1937) as producer and Nicholas Korda (1945-2018) as sound editor, as well as his older brother Sir Alexander Korda, a film producer, and his younger brother Vincent Korda , a film architect. His nephew is the publisher and writer Michael Korda .
- 1918: Károly bakák
- 1920: A Csodagyerek
- 1927: The eleven devils
- 1932: Men of Tomorrow
- 1933: Cash
- 1935: Bosambo ( Sanders of the River )
- 1936: Forget Me Not
- 1936: Conquest of the Air
- 1937: Revolt in the Desert
- 1937: The Elephant's Child ( The Elephant Boy )
- 1938: Danger at the Doro Pass ( The Drum )
- 1939: Four Feathers ( The Four Feathers )
- 1942: The Jungle Book ( Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book )
- 1943: Sahara
- 1945: Counter attack
- 1947: The affair Macomber ( The Macomber Affair )
- 1948: Torment of Love ( A Woman's Vengeance )
- 1951: Because they should be comforted ( Cry, the Beloved Country )
- 1955: Storm Over the Nile (Storm Over the Nile)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Waiter, Zoltán (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian-British film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 3, 1895|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pusztaturpaszto , Austria-Hungary|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 13, 1961|
|Place of death||Hollywood , California|