Kareem studied at the West Pakistan University of Engineering and Technology with a bachelor's degree in 1968, worked from 1968 to 1971 as a design engineer for a US engineering firm (Harza Engineering Corporation Int.), And studied at the University of Honolulu with a master’s degree in 1975 and received her PhD in civil engineering from Colorado State University in 1978 . In 1978 he became an assistant professor and later professor at the University of Houston and from 1990 he was a professor at the University of Notre Dame. From 1999 he is Robert M. Moran Professor there and he is director of the Natural Hazards Modeling Laboratory (NatHaz Lab) of the university.
He deals with stochastic influences of wind, waves and earthquakes on buildings (probabilistic dynamics) and digital simulation of these influences on buildings, reliability in civil engineering, vibration-damping mechanisms such as finely tuned mass dampers in the form of liquids (aqua slosher) and wind energy. He is President of the International Association for Wind Engineering (IAWE). He holds honorary professorships at Tongji University in Shanghai, Jiatong University and Hong Kong University of Technology.
His projects include real-time monitoring of tall buildings such as the Burj Khalifa with regard to wind loads, the analysis of suspension bridges with large spans (non-linear effects, wind effects such as turbulence), automatic damage detection with satellites and aerial images, modeling of wind turbines, characterization of extreme winds, wind modeling with cellular Automata and artificial neural networks and nonlinear analyzes with Volterra series . He dealt with the development of a cyber center for extreme weather events such as hurricanes (cyber-eye) and similar cyber-based virtual research platforms and crowdsourcing methods for the development of civil infrastructure.
Memberships and honors
Kareem is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics . He received a Presidential Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation and is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and an external member of the Indian National Academy of Engineering and the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
In 2015 he received the Von Karman Medal . He also received the James R. Croes Medal, the Alfred Noble Prize (2016), the Masanobu Shinozuka Medal of the ASCE, the Robert H. Scanlan Medal, the Jack E. Cermak Medal, the Alan G. Davenport Medal of the IAWE and the Distinguished Research Award from IASSAR (International Association for Structural. Safety and Reliability). In 2013 he was Scruton Lecturer at the Institution of Civil Engineers .
- with S. Kline: Performance of multiple mass dampers under random loading , Journal of Structural Engineering, Volume 121, 1995, pp. 348-361
- with K. Gurley: Damping in structures: its evaluation and treatment of uncertainty , Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Volume 59, 1996, pp. 131–157
- with KR Gurley, MA Tognarelli: Analysis and simulation tools for wind engineering , Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Volume 12, 1997, pp. 9-31
- with T. Kijewski, Y. Tamura: Mitigation of motions of tall buildings with specific examples of recent applications , Wind and structures, Volume 2, 1999, pp. 201-251
- with K. Gurley: Applications of wavelet transforms in earthquake, wind and ocean engineering , Engineering Structures, Volume 21, 1999, pp. 149-167
- with X. Chen, M. Matsumoto: Time domain flutter and buffeting response analysis of bridges , Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Volume 126, 2000, pp. 7-16
- with SK Yalla: Optimum absorber parameters for tuned liquid column dampers , Journal of Structural Engineering, Volume 126, 2000, pp. 906-915
- with Y. Zhou: Gust loading factor: new model , Journal of Structural Engineering, Volume 127, 2001, pp. 168-175
- with Y. Zhou, T. Kijewski: Aerodynamic loads on tall buildings: interactive database , Journal of Structural Engineering, Volume 129, 2003, pp. 394-404
- with T. Kijewski: Wavelet transforms for system identification in civil engineering , Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Volume 18, 2003, pp. 339–355
- Editor with Yukio Tamura: Advanced structural wind engineering , Springer 2013
- Life data according to American Men and Women of Science , Thomson Gale 2004
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American civil engineer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 29, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lahore|