Live and act
Born in Stuttgart in 1947, studied musicology , philosophy and modern German literature at the Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg , where he in 1974 when Hans Heinrich Eggebrecht with the dissertation Music as a reflection of reality obtained his doctorate, spent his time as an assistant and in 1984 with his Study of Ferruccio Busoni's poetics . He initially took a visiting professorship at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign / USA (1983), substitute professorships at the Universities of Heidelberg (1984/85) and Frankfurt (1986) and additional teaching positions at the Freiburg University of Music (1985-87) and at the University of Halle-Wittenberg (1994) true.
In 1986 he was appointed full professor of musicology to succeed Ludwig Finscher at the University of Frankfurt am Main and in 1992 as the successor to Rudolf Stephan at the Free University of Berlin . Since 1991 he has been a full member of the Academy of Sciences and Literature Mainz .
In 1999 he received the John G. Diefenbaker Award from the Canada Council for the Arts in Ottawa, Ontario, and has been an Affiliated Faculty Member of the Canadian Center for German and European Studies at York University in Toronto since 2002 . He took part in academic self-administration and scientific organization as dean and vice dean of the Faculty of Classical Philology and Art Studies at the University of Frankfurt a. M. (1988–1991) and the Department of Classical Studies at the Free University of Berlin (1995–1999), as an expert reviewer for the German Research Foundation in Bonn (1992–2000) and the Fund for the Promotion of Scientific Research in Vienna (1993–2004) and as Chairman of the Senate Commission for Research and Young Scientists at the Free University of Berlin (1997–1999). He was liaison professor of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation (1990-2004) and is chairman of the commission for musicology at the Academy of Sciences and Literature Mainz (since 1991), member of the committee for musicological editions of the Union of German Academies of Sciences (since 1991) and the Scientific Advisory Board of the Beethoven Archive Bonn (since 2001). Since 2004 he has represented the Union of German Academies of Sciences at ALLEA ( All European Academies ) in Amsterdam.
Since 2000, Riethmüller has been the editor of the magazine Archive for Musicology, including its supplements. He is currently head of academy research units and musicological projects in special research areas of the German Research Foundation and is a member of the International Graduate School InterArt and Principal Investigator of the Languages of Emotion cluster at the Free University of Berlin .
Main focus of work and research projects
- Music history since the European Enlightenment
- Music of ancient Greece
- History of music theory and aesthetics
- Musical terminology
- Music and poetry
- Music and politics
- Film music
- Interdisciplinary methodology
- Job Busoni editions of the Academy of Sciences and Literature Mainz at the Department of Musicology at the Free University of Berlin
- Beethoven - Handbook (6 volumes)
- Subproject “Performative showpiece: Military music today” in the DFG Collaborative Research Center 447 “Cultures of the Performative” at the Free University of Berlin
- Subproject “Aesthetic Diversification as the Future of Music?” In the DFG Collaborative Research Center 626 “Aesthetic Experience in the Sign of the Dissolution of Limits in the Arts” at the Free University of Berlin
- Research Center German Film Music Project (GFMP)
- The music as a reflection of reality. On the dialectical reflection theory in aesthetics (= supplements to the archive for musicology . 15). Steiner, Wiesbaden 1976, ISBN 3-515-02153-1 .
- Ferruccio Busoni's Poetics (= New Studies in Musicology. 4). Schott, Mainz et al. 1988, ISBN 3-7957-1723-X (also: Freiburg (Breisgau), University, habilitation paper, 1984).
- The Walhalla and its musicians. Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 1993, ISBN 3-89007-297-6 .
- Poems about music. Sources of aesthetic insight (= spectrum of music. 4). Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 1996, ISBN 3-89007-200-3 .
- Approach to music. Studies and Essays. Steiner, Stuttgart 2007, ISBN 978-3-515-08957-9 .
- with Frieder Zaminer : The music of antiquity (= New Handbook of Musicology. Vol. 1). Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 1989, ISBN 3-89007-031-0 .
- with Ludwig Finscher : Johann Strauss. Between claim to art and the pleasure of the people. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1995, ISBN 3-534-12660-2 .
- with Carl Dahlhaus and Alexander L. Ringer: Beethoven. Interpretations of his works. 2 volumes. Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 1994, ISBN 3-89007-259-3 (several editions).
- Language and music. Perspectives of a relationship (= spectrum of music. 5). Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 1999, ISBN 3-89007-320-4 .
- Bruckner problems. International Colloquium 7. – 9. October 1996 in Berlin (= supplements to the archive for musicology. 45). Steiner, Stuttgart 1999, ISBN 3-515-07496-1 .
- Brecht and his composers (= spectrum of music. 6). Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 2000, ISBN 3-89007-501-0 .
- with Michael H. Kater : Music and Nazism. Art under Tyranny, 1933-1945. Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 2003, ISBN 3-89007-516-9 (2nd edition, ibid 2004).
- with Hyesu Shin: Busoni in Berlin. Facets of a cosmopolitan composer. Steiner, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-515-08603-X .
- with Michael Beiche: Music - On Concepts and Concepts. Berlin symposium in memory of Hans Heinrich Eggebrecht. Steiner, Stuttgart 2004, ISBN 3-515-08848-2 .
- History of music in the 20th century. 1925–1945 (= Handbook of Music in the 20th Century. Vol. 2). Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 2006, ISBN 3-89007-422-7 .
- German leading culture music? On the history of music after the Holocaust. Steiner, Stuttgart 2006, ISBN 3-515-08974-8 .
- with Michael Custodis : Georg Kreisler. Frontier workers. Seven contributions (= Rombach Sciences. 169). Rombach, Freiburg (Breisgau) et al. 2009 ISBN 978-3-7930-9554-5 .
- Homepage at the Department of Musicology at the Free University of Berlin
- Literature by and about Albrecht Riethmüller in the catalog of the German National Library
- Complete directory of publications
- Homepage of the musicological sub-project “Performative parade piece: Military music today” in the DFG Collaborative Research Center 447 “Cultures of the Performative” ( Memento from October 17, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- Homepage of the musicological sub-project “Aesthetic Diversification as the Future of Music?” In the DFG Collaborative Research Center 626 “Aesthetic Experience in the Sign of the Dissolution of Limits in the Arts” ( Memento from February 12, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- Homepage of the Academy of Sciences and Literature, Mainz
- Member of Albrecht Riethmüller at the Academy of Sciences and Literature
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musicologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 21, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stuttgart|