Alfred Schäfer (archaeologist)
Alfred Schäfer (* 1963 ) is a German classical archaeologist .
From 1986 to 1993 Schäfer studied Classical Archeology, Ancient History , Middle and New History at the University of Cologne and graduated in 1993 with a Magister Artium in Classical Archeology. In 1993/94 Schäfer received a scholarship from the Gerda Henkel Foundation . His doctorate took place in 1994 with Henner von Hesberg in Cologne with the subject of entertaining performances, games and competitions at the Greek symposium . He then worked as a research assistant at the Research Archive for Ancient Sculpture at the University of Cologne and, at the end of 1994 / beginning of 1995, was a postdoctoral fellow at the Office for Archaeological Monument Preservation of the City of Cologne on the subject of the Tuscan capitals of Roman Cologne . Afterwards Schäfer was employed at the Dean's Office of the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Cologne. From 1996 to 2002 Schäfer worked as a research assistant at the Winckelmann Institute at the Humboldt University in Berlin , and from 2002 to 2007 as a research assistant in the DFG's priority program, Roman Empire and Provincial Religion . In 2004 he completed his habilitation with a thesis on the subject of temples and cults in Sarmizegetusa. A study on the formation of religious communities in the Metropolis of Dacia and was visiting professor at the Winckelmann Institute in the 2006 summer semester. Schäfer has been a scientific consultant in the preservation of ground monuments at the Roman-Germanic Museum in Cologne since 2007 and, after re- habilitation, was initially a private lecturer at the University of Cologne, and in June 2019 he was appointed as an extraordinary professor.
Schäfer's main research interests are Greek vase painting, Roman urbanism, the history of religion in the Roman Empire and the history of reception in antiquity. Later other topics were added, such as investigations at the intersection of monument preservation, urban planning and the environment as well as the imparting of archaeological methods; based on the research carried out in the 2010s, also ancient and medieval city fortifications. Another focus is research on ancient Dacia . He has carried out excavations and research in Apulum (Romania). In Cologne, among other things, he was involved in the excavations and conservation measures at the Roman port gate. Currently (as of 2020) he is in charge of the restoration work on the Römerturm .
- Entertainment at the Greek Symposium. Performances, games and competitions from Homeric to late classical times . Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1997, ISBN 3-8053-2336-0 (= dissertation).
- Achilles and Chiron. A Mythological Paradigm for the Instruction of the Male Youth of Athens. (= Winckelmann Institute of the Humboldt University of Berlin, Volume 5) Arenhövel, Berlin 2006, ISBN 3-922912-62-1 .
- Temple and cult in Sarmizegetusa. A study on the formation of religious communities in the Dacian metropolis , Scriptorium, Marsberg / Padberg 2007, ISBN 978-3-932610-42-4 .
- Gods, gifts, sanctuaries. Roman religion in Cologne. Philipp von Zabern, Darmstadt 2016, ISBN 978-3-8053-4949-9 .
- with Stefan Altekamp : The Impact of Rome on Settlement in the Northwestern and Danube Provinces. Archaeopress, Oxford 2001, ISBN 1841712191 .
- with Ulrike Egelhaaf-Gaiser : Religious associations in Roman antiquity. Studies on organization, ritual and spatial planning. (= Studies and Texts on Antiquity and Christianity, Volume 13), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2002, ISBN 3-16-147771-5 .
- with Hubert Cancik and Wolfgang Spickermann : Centrality and Religion. For the formation of urban centers in the Imperium Romanum. (= Studies and Texts on Antiquity and Christianity, Volume 39), Tübingen 2006, ISBN 978-3-16-149155-9 .
- with Marion Witteyer: Ritual deposits in sanctuaries of the Hellenistic-Roman world. International Conference Mainz, 28. – 30. April 2008. (= Mainzer Archäologische Schriften, Volume 10), Directorate General for Cultural Heritage, Directorate State Archeology, Mainz 2013, ISBN 978-3-935970-18-1 .
- with Alexandra W. Busch : Roman consecration altars in context. International conference in Cologne from December 3rd to 5th, 2009 "Consecration altars in temples and shrines". Likias Verlag, Friedberg 2014, ISBN 978-3-9817006-2-6 . Review by Oliver Schipp at H-Soz-Kult .
- with Dietrich Boschung : Monumenta Illustrata. Spatial knowledge and antiquarian erudition. (= Morphomata , Volume 41), Verlag Wilhelm Fink, Paderborn 2019, ISBN 978-3-7705-6427-9 (print version), ISBN 978-3-8467-6427-5 (electronic).
- Literature by and about Alfred Schäfer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Schäfers page at the Archaeological Institute of the University of Cologne
- Alfred Schäfer on Academia.edu
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1963|