Hubert Cancik studied classical philology, ancient oriental studies and theology at the universities of Berlin , Münster , Manchester and Tübingen . At Ernst Zinn he was graduated in 1964 with studies on the lyrical art of Statius . Cancik became a research assistant at the Tübingen Catholic Theological Faculty in the subject of the Old Testament. In 1969 he completed his habilitation in Classical Philology with an edition of the Fragments of Lucius Accius . From 1974 until his retirement in 2003, Hubert Cancik was Professor of Classical Philology and the History of Ancient Religions at the University of Tübingen. He turned down a call to the FU Berlin (1988). He is married to Hildegard Cancik-Lindemaier ; the couple has two daughters: the ancient orientalist Eva Cancik-Kirschbaum and the lawyer Pascale Cancik . In 2008 the couple received an honorary doctorate from the University of Basel . Hubert Cancik is a member of the board of trustees of the Humanist Association Berlin-Brandenburg .
- Europe - antiquity - humanism. Humanistic attempts and preparatory work (= man in the network of cultures. Humanism in the era of globalization. Vol. 7). Edited by Hildegard Cancik-Lindemaier . transcript-Verlag, Bielefeld 2011, ISBN 978-3-8376-1389-6 .
- Collected Essays. Edited by Hildegard Cancik-Lindemaier. 2 volumes. Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2008;
- Verses and things. Cultural interpretations of Roman poetry. Edited by Richard Faber and Barbara von Reibnitz . Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2003, ISBN 3-8260-2467-2 .
- Antique - modern. Contributions to Roman and German cultural history. Edited by Richard Faber, Barbara von Reibnitz and Jörg Rüpke . Metzler, Stuttgart et al. 1998, ISBN 3-476-01572-6 .
- Basics of the Hittite and Old Testament historiography (= treatises of the German Palestine Association. Vol. 4). Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden 1976, ISBN 3-447-01657-4 .
- with Alfred Schäfer and Wolfgang Spickermann : Centrality and Religion. For the formation of urban centers in the Imperium Romanum (= studies and texts on antiquity and Christianity. STAC. Vol. 39). Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2006, ISBN 3-16-149155-6 .
- with Uwe Puschner : anti-Semitism, paganism, ethnic religion. = Anti-semitism, paganism, voelkish religion. Saur, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-598-11458-3 .
- with Konrad Hitzl : The practice of worshiping rulers in Rome and its provinces. Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 2003, ISBN 3-16-147895-9 .
- with Jörg Rüpke : Roman Empire and Provincial Religion. Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen 1997, ISBN 3-16-146760-4 .
- Markus Philology. Historical, literary and stylistic research on the second gospel (= scientific research on the New Testament. Vol. 33). Mohr, Tübingen 1984, ISBN 3-16-144725-5 .
- with Helmuth Schneider : The new Pauly. Encyclopedia of Antiquity (DNP). 16 volumes in 19 sub-volumes as well as 7 supplement volumes. Metzler, Stuttgart et al. 1996–2012, ISBN 3-476-01470-3 .
- Co-editor of: Handbook of Basic Concepts in Religious Studies . HrwG. 5 volumes. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart et al. 1988-2000, ISBN 3-17-010531-0 .
- with Helmuth Schneider and Manfred Landfester : The New Pauly. Encyclopedia of Antiquity, special edition. WBG (Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft), Darmstadt 2015, ISBN 978-3-534-26764-4 (Classical antiquity and its reception history: 18 volumes, 1 register volume, including additional volume Historical Atlas of the Ancient World )
- with Horst Groschopp and Frieder Otto Wolf : Humanism: Basic Concepts. Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin 2016, ISBN 978-3-110-47136-6 .
- Literature by and about Hubert Cancik in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Hubert Cancik at perlentaucher.de
- Official homepage of Hubert Cancik and Hildegard Cancik-Lindemaier
- Photo by Hubert Cancik
- Honorary doctorate to Hubert Cancik ( Memento from April 8, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist and historian of religion|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 7, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|