Henner von Hesberg
Henner von Hesberg studied classical archeology, ancient history , classical philology and art history in Bonn, Marburg and Würzburg from 1968 to 1975 . He received his doctorate in 1975 at the University of Marburg under Heinrich Drerup with a thesis on the development and function of the console geison in Hellenism and in the early imperial era . He then received a travel grant from the German Archaeological Institute and worked at the German Archaeological Institute in Berlin and Rome. From 1979 to 1983 von Hesberg was an assistant at the University of Munich and completed his habilitation there in 1983Forms of private representation in architecture of the 2nd and 1st centuries BC In 1984 he received a C2 professorship in Munich, and in 1987 a professorship at the University of Cologne , where he was spokesman for the graduate school “Formation and Self-Representation of Urban Elites in the Roman Empire” and from 1995 to 1997 Dean of the Philosophical Faculty. From November 2006 to spring 2014 von Hesberg was the first director of the Rome department of the German Archaeological Institute. He was on leave from the University of Cologne.
At the end of February 2014, he formally retired in Cologne. Michael Heinzelmann has been his successor since 2006 . Von Hesberg is a full member of the Mainz Academy of Sciences and Literature . In 2008/2009 he gave the Jerome Lecture Series at the University of Michigan.
Henner von Hesberg mainly deals with Hellenistic and Roman architecture , urbanism and architectural ornamentation as well as Roman grave structures, as well as court art in Hellenism and art in the Roman provinces . A regional focus of his work is ancient Italy, especially Rome and the surrounding area.
- Konsolengeisa of Hellenism and the early Imperial Era (= communications of the German Archaeological Institute. Roman Department . Supplement 24). Zabern, Mainz 1981, ISBN 3-8053-0469-2 .
- Roman tombs . Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1992, ISBN 3-534-02446-X .
- Forms of private representation in architecture of the 2nd and 1st centuries BC Chr. Böhlau, Cologne 1994, ISBN 3-412-07592-2 .
- with Silvio Panciera : The Mausoleum of Augustus. The building and its inscriptions (= Bavarian Academy of Sciences, Treatises of the Philosophical-Historical Class, NF Volume 108). Beck, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-7696-0103-3 .
- with Harald Mielsch : The pagan necropolis under St. Peter in Rome (= Atti della Pontificia Accademia Romana di Archeologia. Series 3: Memorie. Volume 16). L'Erma di Bretschneider, Roma 1995, ISBN 88-7062-903-1 .
- with Dietrich Boschung , Andreas Linfert : The ancient sculptures in Chatsworth as well as in Dunham Massey and Withington Hall (= Corpus Signorum Imperii Romani . Volume 3, Fascicle 8; = Monumenta artis Romanae. Volume 26). Zabern, Mainz 1997, ISBN 3-8053-1991-6 .
- Roman architecture . Beck, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-406-52920-8 .
- with Barbara Borg , Andreas Linfert: The ancient sculptures in Castle Howard (= Monumenta artis Romanae. Volume 31). Reichert, Wiesbaden 2005, ISBN 3-89500-440-5 .
- with Stephanie Dimas, Carola Reinsberg : The antique collections of Hever Castle, Cliveden, Bignor Park and Knole (= Monumenta artis Romanae. Volume 38). Reichert, Wiesbaden 2014, ISBN 978-3-89500-714-9 .
- Literature by and about Henner von Hesberg in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage at the DAI ( Memento from August 28, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- DAI press release ( Memento from July 20, 2006 in the Internet Archive )
|SURNAME||Hesberg, Henner von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 24, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Luneburg|