Angelo Geissen is a German numismatist .
After graduating from high school in 1961 at Wilhelm-Dörpfeld-Gymnasium in Wuppertal - Elberfeld , he studied Classical Philology , Papyrology , Byzantine Studies , Classical Archeology , Ancient History , Philosophy and Pedagogy at the University of Cologne , where he studied Classical Philology in 1967 (with Hellfried Dahlmann and Reinhold Merkelbach ) and Byzantine Studies (with Berthold Rubin ) for Dr. phil. received his doctorate . From 1968 to 1969 he specialized in numismatics, Latin epigraphy and Roman provincial archeology at the University of Frankfurt (with Konrad Kraft , Aladár Radnóti and Maria R.-Alföldi ). In 1969 he became a research assistant / assistant to Konrad Kraft there. In 1970 he continued his specialization by studying numismatics and Greek epigraphy at the École pratique des hautes études , the Collège de France and the Cabinet des Médailles of the Bibliothèque nationale de France (with Louis Robert and Georges Le Rider ). From 1970 to 1972 he was a research assistant with a scholarship from the DFG , Gerda Henkel and Fritz Thyssen Foundation with Reinhold Merkelbach at the Institute for Classical Studies at the University of Cologne, where he was an academic councilor and curator of the coin collection in 1972 , an academic senior councilor in 1974 and in 2003 was appointed Academic Director. He retired in 2006 and at times taught ancient numismatics .
His main research interests are numismatics of the Roman Empire: Egypt and Asia Minor, continuation of the project The Alexandrian coins as a source for religious history , economic and social history as well as religious and cultural history of antiquity, iconography and reception of ancient images and self-portrayal of elites.
He is a member of the American Numismatic Society (New York), Archaeological Society (Cologne), Association Internationale de Papyrologues (Brussels), Bavarian Numismatic Society (Munich), Association Égyptologique Reine Elizabeth (Brussels), Swiss Numismatic Society (Zurich / Bern), Société Française de Numismatique (Paris) and the Comitato Scientifico of the Rivista Italiana di Numismatica e Scienze Affini (Milano).
- The Septuagint text of the Book of Daniel, chap. 5–12, together with Susanna, Bel et Draco and Esther, chap. 1,1a - 2,15 according to the Cologne part of Papyrus 967 (= Papyrological texts and treatises. Volume 5). Habelt, Bonn 1968, OCLC 889329666 (also dissertation, Cologne 1967).
Catalog of Alexandrian imperial coins from the collection of the Institute for Classical Studies at the University of Cologne.
- Volume 1. Augustus - Trajan (No. 1 - 740) (= Papyrologica Coloniensia. Volume 5, 1). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1983, ISBN 3-531-09905-1 .
- Volume 2. Hadrian - Antoninus Pius. (No. 741-1994) (= Papyrologica Coloniensia. Volume 5, 2). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1978, ISBN 3-531-09908-6 .
- Volume 3. Marc Aurel - Gallienus. (No. 1995-3014) (= Papyrologica Coloniensia. Vol. 5, 3). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1982, ISBN 3-531-09916-7 .
- with Wolfram Weiser : Volume 4. Claudius Gothicus - Domitius Domitianus. Gau coins, anonymous coins, supplements, imitations, lead coins. (No. 3015 - 3627) (= Papyrologica Coloniensia. Vol. 5, 4). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1983, ISBN 3-531-09917-5 .
- with Thomas Ganschow and Ralf H. Althoff: Greek coins and their environment: The Middle East - from Persia to Bactria - and North Africa with Alexandria (= Köhler-Osbahr Collection. Volumes 3, 4). Culture and City History Museum, Duisburg 2011, ISBN 978-3-89279-675-6 .
- with Manfred Weber: The Alexandrian gum coins of the Roman Empire. The Egyptian Gaue and their local gods as reflected in the numismatic sources (= studies on the late Egyptian religion. Volume 11). Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden 2013, ISBN 978-3-447-06846-8 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Goats, Angelo|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German numismatist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||before 1961|