academic advice

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Academic Council ( AkadR or AR ) is an official title for a German civil servant in the higher service who works as a research assistant at a scientific university (e.g. university ) in Germany . In Bavaria , under state law , employment at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences as a clerk is also permitted.

Salary and promotion offices

The position as Academic Councilor is an entrance office and is remunerated in accordance with salary group A 13 of the Federal Salary Act ( salary order A ). The net salary in the first step as an academic councilor is comparable to that of a junior professor ( salary group W 1 ) and, as with all civil servants, is higher than the net salary of a correspondingly classified employee ( salary group 13 TV-L ) due to the lack of social security contributions , with civil servants but contributions for health and long-term care insurance can still be deducted.

Promotion offices are Academic Senior Councilor (AOR or AkadOR, A 14), Academic Director (AD or AkadD, A 15) and Senior Academic Director (Ltd. AD, A 16). Senior Academic Director is only permitted as a promotion office if the position is a particularly prominent position, e.g. B. as an internship or as a department manager . In fact, there have been very few Academic Directors or Senior Academic Directors for several decades.

The specialist careers in other areas have corresponding resolutions (e.g. government councilor or student councilor ).

Temporary academic advice

Since around 2004, academic councilors have also been appointed to temporary civil servants in some federal states , whereas this did not happen in practice in the past. Most appointments are still made to permanent civil servants. Exceptions are Brandenburg , Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania and Saxony-Anhalt , where this is no longer practiced in principle.

In Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg in particular , according to the current university personnel laws, tenure as an academic councilor, usually limited to two three years, is possible and customary. This created an employment relationship for young academics corresponding to the employment relationship as a research assistant in salary group C 1, which was usual for habilitation until 2003 . This should be done in the subjects in which the junior professorship does not seem to prevail, e.g. B. Law and many humanities that make the habilitation more attractive again. After the discontinuation of the C 1 salary regulation, this could generally only be made on a fixed-term basis.

In a few exceptional cases, a temporary tenure as an academic councilor can take place before the doctorate has been completed. This means that doctoral students also have the opportunity to work as a civil servant as a research assistant .

Temporary Academic Councilor

In Bavaria (analogous to the senior councilor with a lifelong civil service) scientific staff who meet the requirements for appointment as professor can also be employed as academic senior councilors (A 14) on a temporary basis. This temporary appointment as a civil servant also serves to bridge the time until the appointment as a professor or the start of another job after the habilitation . In the past, positions as senior assistants or university lecturers (salary group C 2) were often offered for this group of people .

Web links

Wiktionary: Academic Council  - explanations of meanings, word origins, synonyms, translations

Individual evidence

  1. Bavarian University Personnel Act (as of January 14, 2012).
  2. Bavarian University Personnel Act (as of January 14, 2012).