In 1827 Zwengauer enrolled at the art academy in Munich and was there a. a. Pupil of Peter von Cornelius . Initially trained in history painting, Zwengauer turned to landscape studies in the great outdoors as early as 1828, which was not taught at the academy during those years. He began touring the Bavarian and Austrian Alps and brought home a rich selection of sketches and watercolors.
He quickly developed into one of the landscape painters who, by closely observing the mood of nature, created a new picture of Upper Bavaria. From 1833 he exhibited landscape paintings in the Munich Art Association . His artistic breakthrough came in 1841 with the sale of the painting Noon on the Alm to the Russian Colonel Andreas Barischnikoff. His paintings with sunsets became known and in demand, so that, according to Hyacinth Holland , around 1900 people spoke of a “real Zwengauer” in view of every clear evening. In choosing his motifs, Zwengauer always tried to transfer the natural landscapes inherent strength and calm into an almost solemn mood.
In 1853 King Maximilian II of Bavaria appointed Zwengauer curator of the picture gallery of Schleissheim Palace . From 1869 he was known as "kgl. Centralgemäldegalerie-Konservator “Head of the Alte Pinakothek .
Anton Zwengauer died in Munich on June 13, 1884 after a long illness at the age of 73. The grave of Anton Zwengauer is on the old southern cemetery in Munich (burial ground 5 - row 13 - No. 51) .
- Supper on the Mountain (1841)
- Autumn evening with deer by the water
- Benediktenwand in the evening light
- The four Seasons
- Drawings in the State Graphic Collection in Munich
- Hyacinth Holland : Zwengauer, Anton . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 45, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1900, pp. 524-526.
- Late Romanticism and Realism, Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen, Neue Pinakothek, painting catalogs vol. 5, edit. by Barbara Eschenburg, Munich: Hirmer 1984, ISBN 3-7774-3450-7 .
- 01249 Anton Zwengauer, Matriculation Book 1809-1841 (accessed June 14, 2016)
- Quoted from ADB
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 11, 1810|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 13, 1884|
|Place of death||Munich|