Olsen graduated from Brown University in Providence. After graduating, where he was awarded a Phi Beta Kappa membership, he worked as a teacher, copywriter, real estate agent and eventually a freelance writer. His first publication was The Four-Dimensional Roller-Press , which appeared in Amazing Stories in June 1927 , the first in a series of inventor stories revolving around the secrets of a fourth dimension and the character of Professor Archimedes Banning. Three relevant stories testify to his lifelong interest in ants: In The Ant With a Human Soul (1932) and Peril Among the Drivers, people experience the life of an ant, and in Six-Legged Gangsters , ants are the narrators. No new stories appeared from 1940, as Olsen suffered from severe arthritis in his later years .
Olsen died in 1956 at the age of 72. He is buried in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale .
- Four Dimensional ... (short story series)
- 1 The Four-Dimensional Roller-Press (1927)
- 2 Four Dimensional Surgery (1928)
- 3 Four Dimensional Robberies (1928)
- 4 Four Dimensional Transit (1928)
- 5 The Man Who Annexed the Moon (1931)
- The Space Marines (short story series)
- 1 Captain Brink of the Space Marines (1932)
- 2 The Space Marines and the Slavers (1936, also as The Space Pirates , 1970)
- Short stories
- The Educated Pill (1928)
- The Superperfect Bride (1929)
- Flight in 1999 (1929)
- The Phantom Teleview (1929)
- Cosmic Trash (1930)
- The Master of Mystery (1931)
- Seven Sunstrokes (1932)
- The Ant with the Human Soul (1932)
- The Purple Monsters (1932)
- The Pool of Death (1933)
- The Crime Crusher (1933)
- The Four Dimensional Escape (1933)
- Peril Among the Drivers (1934)
- The Four Dimensional Auto-Parker (1934)
- Nœkken of Norway (1934)
- Six-Legged Gangsters (1935)
- The Isle of Juvenescence (1936)
- The Scourge of a Single Cell (1940)
- Rhythm Rides the Rocket (1940)
- Our Robot Maid (1940)
- The Drawbridge Horror (1958)
- Hans Joachim Alpers , Werner Fuchs , Ronald M. Hahn : Reclam's science fiction guide. Reclam, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-15-010312-6 , p. 315.
- Everett Franklin Bleiler , Richard Bleiler: Science Fiction: The Gernsback Years. Kent State University Press, Kent, OH 1998, ISBN 0-585-23982-7 , pp. 312-317.
- John Clute , David Langford , Mike Ashley : Olsen, Bob. In: John Clute, Peter Nicholls : The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . 3rd edition (online edition), version dated February 9, 2017.
- Walter Gillings: Olsen, Bob . In: Noelle Watson, Paul E. Schellinger: Twentieth-Century Science-Fiction Writers. St. James Press, Chicago 1991, ISBN 1-55862-111-3 , pp. 606 f.
- Donald H. Tuck : The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy through 1968. Advent, Chicago 1974, ISBN 0-911682-20-1 , p. 337.
- Bob Olsen in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Works by and about Bob Olsen at Open Library
- Bob Olsen in Fancyclopedia 3 (English)
- Echoing Henry Parker Manning, who wrote a number of books on mathematics and in particular on non-Euclidean geometry and the fourth dimension at the beginning of the 20th century , for example The Fourth Dimension Simply Explained (1910). See Everett Franklin Bleiler, Richard Bleiler: Science Fiction: The Gernsback Years. Kent State University Press, 1998, p. 312
- Bob Olsen , entry at Find A Grave (accessed June 14, 2018).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Olsen, Alfred Johannes Olsen Jr. (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American science fiction writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 12, 1884|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Providence , Rhode Island|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 20, 1956|
|Place of death||Ventura , California|