Sganzini grew up in Vira as the son of the customs officer Giovanni and Maria Margherita born Tappa. After attending the Bellinzona Business School, he studied at the University of Leipzig Business School in 1903 , where he passed the trade teacher examination in 1903. From 1904 to 1905 he taught at the cantonal traffic school and from 1905 to 1910 at the municipal commercial academy in St. Gallen . From 1910 to 1913 he devoted himself to studying philosophy, psychology and mathematics at the Universities of Bern and Munich .
In 1913 Sganzini received his doctorate from the University of Bern (Dr. phil.) With a thesis on "Quantities and thicknesses an epistemological study" . He was a student of Richard Herbertz . In 1915 he became a private lecturer in philosophy and psychology. From 1916 to 1922 he headed the teachers' seminar in Locarno .
In 1923 he replaced Paul Häberlin as a full professor of philosophy with special attention to psychology and pedagogy at the University of Bern. In 1927/28 and 1940/41 he was dean and from 1941 to 1942 rector. In 1946 he retired.
His scientific work focused on philosophical and pedagogical questions. His life's work, a "theory of fundamental structures", remained fragmentary.
In 1920 he married Angiolina, the daughter of Ernesto Somazzi.
- Quantities and thicknesses, a critical study . Dissertation. Bern, 1913
- The advances in national psychology from Lazarus to Wundt. New Bernese Treatises on Philosophy and its History, Second Issue. Verlag A. Francke, Bern 1913.
- Giovanni Enrico Pestalozzi. Vita opera pensiero e significato presente della sua figura spirituale . Publisher Grassi, Bellinzona 1927
- with Harry Maync: Speeches held at the commemoration of the University of Bern on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Pestalozzi's death. The unity of the Pestalozzian educational ideas. Verlag Haupt, Bern 1927
- Pestalozzi's attitude to school and its changes . Publishing house HR Sauerländer, Aarau 1928
- What do you mean to think? Behavioral analysis of the thought process . Haupt, Bern & Leipzig 1939.
- Ceremony for Professor Dr. Richard Herbertz to celebrate his sixtieth birthday . Benteli Verlag, Bern 1940
- Measure and reality . In: Yearbook of the Swiss Philosophical Society. Volume 1, Hans Ryffel and Gottfried Fankhauser (eds.), Verlag für Recht und Gesellschaft, 1941
- The unity of science . Rector's speech, held at the 107th foundation ceremony d. University of Bern on November 22, 1941. Verlag Haupt, Bern and Leipzig 1941.
- Origin and reality . Origin and reality. Contributions to philosophy, psychology and education, Paul Haupt Verlag, Bern 1951
- Philosophy and pedagogy. Prolegomena to a theory of fundamental structures . Publishing house Paul Haupt Bern-Leipzig.
- Hans Ryffel: Carlo Sganzini's Contribution to Contemporary Philosophy . Presentation to the Philosophical Society, Olten 1951
- Literature by and about Carlo Sganzini in the catalog of the German National Library
- Christian Baertschi: Sganzini, Carlo. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Carlo Sganzini. Quantities and thicknesses: a critical study . Academic bookstore by Max Drechsel, Bern 1913. (Google Books)
- Chronicle of Bern Psychology. ( Memento from May 17, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) (PDF; 1.7 MB) In: Institutional brochure. University of Bern, Institute for Psychology, Bern 2004, p. 10.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss psychologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 19, 1881|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vira (Gambarogno)|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 14, 1948|
|Place of death||Bern|