Charles C. Conley
Charles C. Conley received his doctorate in 1962 under Jürgen Moser at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (where he was also a Moore instructor ) (On some long periodic solutions of the plane restricted three body problem). He was a professor at the University of Wisconsin – Madison .
With Eduard Zehnder in 1983 he proved Arnold's conjecture of symplectic geometry for tori of any dimension.
His doctoral students include Konstantin Mischaikow and Richard McGehee . In 1970 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Nice ( On the continuation of invariant sets of a flow ).
Charles C. Conley should not be confused with the mathematician Charles H. Conley (professor at the University of North Texas at Denton).
- Conley Isolated invariant sets and the Morse index , CBMS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, 38th American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1978
- Conley, Zehnder The Birkhoff-Lewis fixed point theorem and a conjecture of VIArnold , Inventiones Mathematicae, Volume 73, 1983, pp. 33-49
- Conley, Zehnder Morse type index theory for flows and periodic solutions for Hamiltonian systems , Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, Volume 37, 1984, pp. 207-253
- Obituary by McGehee, Ergodic theory and dynamical systems, Volume 8, 1988
- MR Herman, Richard McGehee, Eduard Zehnder (Editors): Charles Conley Memorial, Cambridge University Press 1988
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Konstantin Mischaikow The Conley index theory , Banach Center Publications, pdf . The theory goes back to Conley, Robert Easton Isolated invariant sets and isolating blocks , Transactions AMS, Volume 158, 1971, pp. 35-61.
|SURNAME||Conley, Charles C.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Conley, Charles Cameron|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1933|
|DATE OF DEATH||1984|