The third son of Alexander († 1997; doctor) and Gertrude (* 1928; nurse, household) Benke graduated from the 1. Bundesgymnasium Vienna II, Zirkusgasse 48 (humanistic branch) in May 1974. From 1974 to 1975 he did military service in the Austrian Armed Forces . From 1975 to 1981 he studied Catholic theology at the Kath.-Theol. Faculty of the University of Vienna and the University of Tübingen . He entered the Vienna seminary in 1979. From 1981 to 1983 he did a parish internship and was a deacon in the parish church of Kagraner Anger . Ordained as a priest in 1983, he was a chaplain from 1983 to 1987in the parish of the Holy Family (1100 Vienna). From 1987 to 1990 he did a doctorate in Freiburg im Breisgau with Gisbert Greshake (dogmatic theology). From 1990 to 1998 moderator of the parish Kalksburg . He lectures at the Vienna Theological Courses . Since autumn 1998 he has been spiritual director of the Center of the Archdiocese of Vienna for theology students (1010 Vienna). From 1993 to 2004 he was lecturer for Spiritual Theology at Kath.-Theol. Faculty of the University of Vienna and the University of Salzburg. After the habilitation at the Catholic Theol. Faculty of the University of Vienna in Dogmatic Theology (December 2001) he has been teaching Spiritual Theology at the PTH St. Pölten since October 1st, 2008 .
- Distinction between spirits in Bernhard von Clairvaux (= studies on systematic and spiritual theology. Volume 4). Echter, Würzburg 1991, ISBN 3-429-01366-6 (also dissertation, Freiburg im Breisgau 1990).
- At the sources of life. Exercises for everyday life . Echter, Würzburg 1998, ISBN 3-429-01985-0 .
- The gift of tears. On the tradition and theology of a forgotten chapter in the history of faith (= studies on systematic and spiritual theology. Volume 35). Echter, Würzburg 2002, ISBN 3-429-02416-1 (also habilitation thesis, Vienna 2001).
Longing for spirituality (= Ignatian impulses. Volume 20). Echter, Würzburg 2007, ISBN 3-429-02875-2 .
- Joanna Procek (translator): Te̜sknota za duchowościa̜ . Wydawn. Homo Dei, Krakow 2009, ISBN 978-83-60998-56-4 .
- Little history of Christian spirituality . Herder, Freiburg im Breisgau / Basel / Vienna 2007, ISBN 3-451-29608-X .
- God is not petty. About the Christian measure (= Ignatian impulses. Volume 41). Echter, Würzburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-429-03248-7 .
- At one table with God. Communion as a leitmotif of Christian spirituality . Tyrolia-Verlag, Innsbruck / Vienna 2013, ISBN 3-7022-3286-9 .
- THEOLOGICAL COURSES. Retrieved August 10, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian theologian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|