The Connecticut College (abbreviated ConnColl ) is a private university in New London , Connecticut , United States . It was founded in 1911 and with almost 2,000 students and around 180 full-time professors is one of the better-known colleges in New England . Around 40 major subjects from African Studies to Zoology can be studied with an undergraduate degree. Numerous large donations made it possible to set up an arts center, a large sports center and scientific research opportunities. One focus is the area of environmental studies.
President is Leo I. Higdon Jr., from January 1, 2014 Katherine Bergeron takes over the office.
Well-known university professors
- Melba Phillips (1907-2004), physicist
- Ernest C. Schlesinger (1925–2008), mathematician
- William Meredith (1919-2007), poet
- David Grann (* 1967), writer and journalist
- David Haussler (* 1953), bioinformatician
- Marcia Tucker (1940–2006), founder of the New Museum of Contemporary Art and curator at the Whitney Museum of American Art
- Website of the extensive sports program , accessed September 23, 2013