He passed his Abitur in 1982 in Idar-Oberstein. Plehwe, who also studied at the New School for Social Research in 1985/86 , graduated from the Philipps University of Marburg in 1989 with a diploma in political science.
In 1989/90 he worked for the International Federation of Chemical, Energy and General Workers' Union (ICEM) in Brussels. From 1990 to 1990 he was a doctoral scholar at the University of Marburg. In 1994 he became managing director of the Association of Democratic Scientists (BdWi) in Marburg. Three years later he was at Frank Deppe at Marburg Department of Political Science with a thesis on deregulation and transnational integration of the transportation industry in North America to Dr. phil. ( magna cum laude ) doctorate. The work was included in the publication series of the Hans Böckler Foundation .
From 1996 to 2002 he was a research assistant in the “Organization and Employment” department at the Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB). He then went to the USA , first at Yale University as a lecturer in political science and sociology and in 2004/05 as a visiting fellow at the International Center for Advanced Studies at New York University . In 2008/09 he was visiting professor for international development at the University of Vienna . From 2011 to 2014 he was a research assistant in the project group “Modes of Economic Governance” at the WZB, and since 2014 he has worked there in the “Inequality and Social Policy” department. From September 2016 to February 2017 he is a visiting scholar at the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies at Harvard University .
One of his main research interests is the history and sociology of neoliberalism . Together with Philip Mirowski and others, he has significantly developed a research direction that defines it as an actor-centered network that has developed in, through and around the Mont Pèlerin Society in the post-war period .
- New logistics for German corporations - “deregulation”, lean production and large-scale mergers in the freight forwarding industry. Sokoop-Verlag, Duisburg 1994, ISBN 3-921-47351-9 .
- Deregulation and transnational integration of the transport industry in North America. Westphalian steam boat, Münster 2000, ISBN 3-896-91477-4 .
- with Christoph Dörrenbächer (Ed.): Limitless control? Organizational change and political power of multinational corporations . Edition Sigma, Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-89404-203-6 .
- with Bernhard Walpen , Gisela Neunhöffer (eds.): Neoliberal Hegemony: A Global Critique , Routledge, New York a. a. 2006.
- with Philip Mirowski (ed.): The Road from Mont Pèlerin: The Making of the Neoliberal Thought Collective . Harvard University Press, Cambridge / MA a. a. 2009, ISBN 978-0-674-03318-4 .
- Literature by and about Dieter Plehwe in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Dieter Plehwe in the German Digital Library
- Search for Dieter Plehwe in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- Dieter Plewe at the Berlin Science Center for Social Research
- Profile on the Harvard University website.
- See e.g. B. Dieter Plehwe: Introduction . In: Dieter Plehwe, Philip Mirowski (eds.): The Road from Mont Pèlerin: The Making of the Neoliberal Thought Collective . Harvard University Press, Cambridge / MA a. a. 2009, pp. 1-44; Dieter Plehwe, Matthias Schmelzer: Marketing Marketization. The Power of Neoliberal Expert, Consulting, and Lobby Networks . In: Zeithistorische Forschungen 12 (2015), pp. 488–499.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 21, 1963|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Idar-Oberstein|