Elegies For Angels, Punks and Raging Queens
|Title:||Elegies For Angels, Punks and Raging Queens|
|Original title:||Elegies For Angels, Punks and Raging Queens|
|Place of premiere:||1989 Ohio Theater, NYC
1990 Off-off Broadway
1993 West End
2001 New York City Concert
Elegies For Angels, Punks and Raging Queens is a music cycle. The music was written by Janet Hood , the lyrics and subtexts are by Bill Russell . The piece consists of songs and monologues that deal with AIDS and the HIV virus . Relatives, friends and those affected tell about how to deal with their illness. The songs and monologues deal with love, death, despair and joie de vivre, the stories are told in different musical styles. The entire piece was inspired by the NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt and Edgar Lee Masters .
The musical was written in the late 1980s and was originally referred to as "The Quilt". It was first performed in 1989 at the Ohio Theater in Soho, New York City. There it was presented for the first time with the new title. From February 1990 it ran off-off Broadway in the East Village . In 1992 it was performed at the King's Head Theater in London for a few months . In June 1993 it moved to the Criterion Theater in London's West End , but only stayed there for a little over a month.
"Elegies" was then performed again in New York City on April 2, 2001 at the Detention Theater of the Fashion Institute of Technology as a benefit for the Momentum AIDS Project . The cast for this event consisted of various well-known artists, such as Alice Ripley , Emily Skinner , Brian d'Arcy James , Christopher Durang , Mario Cantone , Joe Piscopo and Norm Lewis . The concert was recorded and released as the Fynsworth Alley soundtrack in 2001.
In addition to the performances in New York and London , the piece has also been performed in Australia , Germany and Israel . In 2007, the musical was staged in many places in Germany, for example on February 26, 2007 with the participation of many well-known musical performers in the Schmidt Theater in Hamburg . Among them were Ethan Freeman , Charlotte Heinke , Nik Breidenbach , Valerie Link , Susi Banzhaf , Monika Julia Dehnert , Volkan Baydar , Jörg Neubauer and Marc Seitz . Elegies was also performed on October 28 of the same year: Ethan Freeman, Christian Alexander Müller , Volkan Baydar and Bernie Blanks played as part of an AIDS charity event .
Songs from the musical
- Angels, Punks, and Raging Queens
- I'm holding on to you
- And The Rain Keeps Falling Down
- I don't do that anymore
- I don't know how to help you
- Heroes All Around
- Spend It While You Can
- My Brother Lived In San Francisco
- Learning To Let Go
- English-language information is available at Playbill.com ( Memento of the original from September 30, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Information in English about the making of the show
- Interview with the author Bill Russell
- Report on the fansite of Volkan Baydar ( Memento of the original from February 18, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Report from the musical headquarters