In addition to natural drainage, drainage means the targeted removal of water through artificial and natural facilities. It will be between open (. Eg drainage channel , moat , drainage capability and receiving water) and closed drainage (z. B. water pipe , Downpipe ) distinguished. In the case of closed drainage, there is pressureless and pressurized drainage.
The term drying is used to delimit the extraction of water by means of evaporation (e.g. from mud, clothing, masonry) .
The term is mainly used in the following contexts:
- Drainage - the removal of unwanted groundwater or rainwater below the surface of the terrain
- Drainage of buildings, initially via gutter and downpipe . Drainage technology is a branch of wastewater technology that deals with the collection and discharge of wastewater from buildings, properties, public traffic areas, etc.
- Sewerage - the collection of sewage and rainwater in residential or industrial areas, as well as from traffic areas ( streets , squares ) , which is usually carried out in a free gradient . See also: sewer , sewage pumping station , sewage pressure line .
- Melioration the draining of wet meadows and fields
- Marie Naulin, Thorsten Albers: Adaptation of inland drainage through the use of renewable energies . In: Hansa , Heft 3/2011, pp. 106-110, Schiffahrts-Verlag Hansa, Hamburg 2011,
- Udo Quentin, Johannes G. Schwerdtle: Drainage in agriculture , 1st edition. DLG Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2013, ISBN 978-3-7690-2029-8 .