Voluntary self-regulation , from 1989 short F. S. K. , named after the institute of the same name founded in 1949 , is a German avant-garde band. It was created in 1980 in an environment characterized by the emerging punk , new German wave and new wave . It was founded in Munich by Thomas Meinecke , Justin Hoffmann , Michaela Melián and Wilfried Petzi . The band, which had long resisted drummers for aesthetic reasons, took on Carl Oesterhelt as such in 1990 .
The band members met through the magazine Mode und Despair (published 1978 to 1986), which they published together. Her first EP was released in 1980 by Alfred Hilsberg on the Hamburg music label ZickZack .
Their aesthetic models ranged from Kraftwerk to Velvet Underground to Roxy Music . They rejected “ authenticity ” and were particularly interested in cultural breaks. For aesthetic reasons that were also political in their reading, they refused to accept offers from large record companies that also approached unusual bands in the wake of the “ Neue Deutsche Welle ” euphoria in the early 1980s.
In 1985, F. S. K. recorded her first peel session on the BBC - which was followed by six more (the last shortly after Peel's death). F. S. K. was John Peel's declared German favorite band, and the British music press such as the NME also showed keen interest in F. S. K.'s music during this period.
From the end of the 1980s, F. S. K. dealt increasingly with "electrified-broken, contemporary transatlantic folklore" (stimulated, among other things, by the British Mekons ). So she tried to research the roots of German music in the USA and to reimport it to Germany. During this time she worked closely with the musician and producer David Lowery ( Camper Van Beethoven , Cracker ), recorded her albums in his studio in Richmond , Virginia and toured the USA several times.
In the mid-1990s, the band turned to house and techno . Since then, they took only in the Uphon studios of Mario Thaler on Bavarian Weilheim. However, here, too, it is not about imitation, but about emphasizing the breaks and deconstructing given patterns. So the band recorded the "electronic" pieces with conventional instruments and confronted the Detroit house producer legend Anthony "Shake" Shakir with their quirky material. In May 2012, her last album, Akt, descending a staircase, was released on the record label Buback .
Thomas Meinecke works successfully as a writer alongside the band, Michaela Melián is a visual artist, Justin Hoffmann is director of the Kunstverein Wolfsburg and Wilfried Petzi is a photographer.
as voluntary self-regulation :
- Voluntary self-control [Heart of Stone] , 1980, ZigZag ZZ 6 (7 "EP)
- Participant observation , 1981, ZigZag ZZ 27 (7 "EP)
- Striker , 1981, ZigZag ZZ 80 (12 "LP)
- Magic Moments , 1983, ZigZag ZZ 155 (12 "EP)
- Ça c'est le Blues , 1984, ZigZag ZZ 2001 (12 "LP)
- Goes Underground , 1985, ZigZag ZZ 1789 (12 "LP)
- Last Orders (The John Peel Session) , 1985, ZigZag ZZ 1066 (12 "EP)
- Continental breakfast , 1987, ZickZack ZZ 2532 / Ediesta CALC LP 16 (12 "LP) [Sampler 1983-1985]
- American Sector , 1987, Ediesta CALC 32 (12 "EP)
- In Dixieland , 1987, ZickZack ZZ 1987 / Ediesta CALC LP 042 (12 "LP / CD) [CD contains" Magic Moments "EP]
as F. S. K .:
- Double Peel Sessions , 1989, Strange Fruit Records SFPMA204 (12 "LP / CD)
- Original Gasman Band , 1989, ZigZag ZZ 8000 (12 "LP / CD) [CD contains" American Sector "EP]
- Budweiser Polka / Cannonball Yodel , 1990, Sub Up Records (7 "single)
- Son Of Kraut , 1991, Sub Up Records SUBLP 12 (12 "LP / CD)
- The Sound Of Music , 1993, Sub Up Records subup25 (12 "LP / CD)
- The German-American Octet , 1994, Return To Sender ( Normal Records ) RTS 8 (CD)
- With Alfred , 1995, ZickZack ZZ 1995 (2xCD) [Sampler 1980–1989]
- International , 1996, Sub Up Records subup28 (2x12 "LP / CD)
- 4 Instrumentals , 1997, Disko B 64 (12 "EP)
- Tel Aviv , 1998, Sub Up Records subup31 (12 "LP / CD)
- Did You See Davidopoulos Hit That Ball (F. S. K.) / Landla ( HP Falkner & Cpt. Schneider), 1999, private pressing (7 "single)
- X , 2000, Sub Up Records subup34 (12 "LP / CD)
- First Take Then Shake , 2004, Disko B db123 (12 "LP + 7" single / CD)
- Voluntary self-regulation , 2008, Buback BTT 95 (CD)
- Voluntary Self-Control is a Fashion & Despair Product , 2011, Disko B (Best of 30 Years, 3 CD Box)
- Nude going down a flight of stairs , 2012
- A pile of shit and a smashed piano , Martin Hossbach, 2017
- Alfred Hackensberger , Thomas Röschner: Music is the trump card - On the violence of context . Documentary, Trigon Film, 1996
- Teipel, Jürgen: Waste your youth . A documentary novel about German punk and new wave. Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 2001 ( ISBN 3-518-39771-0 )
- F. S. K. at Buback Tonträger
- F. S. K. at Disko B (English)
- F. S. K. at subup records
- FSK at Discogs (English)