Friedhelm Winkelmann passed his Abitur in 1948 in Halle (Saale) . He then studied Protestant theology, Greek studies and history at the University of Halle from 1949 to 1954 , where he also received his doctorate in 1959. theol. PhD.
From 1955 to 1991 Friedhelm Winkelmann worked in the fields of early church history , patristic and Byzantine studies at the Academy of Sciences of the GDR . Here Winkelmann devoted himself to the edition of Greek-Christian writers, wrote monographs such as The Eastern Churches in the Epoch of Christological Disputes and The Churches in the Age of the Crusades . In 1964 he received his habilitation for church history at the University of Greifswald . In 1990 he was appointed professor at the academy, which he had been denied until 1989 due to political unreliability . From 1990 to January 2007 he was the project manager for the prosopography of the Middle Byzantine period .
In the 1990/91 winter semester he was professor for church history at Heidelberg University . From 1992 until his retirement in 1995 he was Professor of Church History at the University of Rostock . In the 1995/96 winter semester he was professor of church history at the University of Tübingen .
- The text testimony to the Vita Constantini of Eusebius of Caesarea . Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1962. ( Texts and studies on the history of early Christian literature / Commission for Late Antique Religious History, Institute for Greco-Roman Antiquity, German Academy of Sciences in Berlin 84)
- The church history of Nicephorus Callistus Xanthopulus and its sources . Postponed investigations, by Günter Gentz. Revised and exp. by Friedhelm Winkelmann. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1966. (Texts and studies on the history of early Christian literature 98)
- The Eastern Churches in the Epoch of Christological Disputes (5th to 7th centuries) . Evangelische Verlags-Anstalt, Berlin 1980. (Church history in individual representations I, Old Church and early Middle Ages 6)
- Byzantine ranks and offices in the 8th and 9th centuries. Factors and trends in their development . Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1985. (Berlin Byzantine Works 53)
- with Gudrun Gomolka-Fuchs: Early Byzantine culture . Edition Leipzig, Leipzig 1987. ISBN 3-361-00037-8 (= The Byzantine culture . Stuttgart: Kohlhammer 1988. ISBN 3-17-009621-4 )
- Euseb of Kaisareia, the father of church history . Verlags-Anstalt Union, Berlin 1991. ISBN 3-372-00303-9
- Studies on Constantine the Great and the Byzantine church history. Edited by Wolfram Brandes and John F. Haldon, Birmingham 1993 (= collected small writings, pp. I-XXI list of publications).
- The churches in the age of the Crusades (11th – 13th centuries) . Evangelische Verlags-Anstalt, Leipzig 1994. (Church history in individual representations I, [Old Church and early Middle Ages] 10) ISBN 3-374-01465-8
- History of early Christianity . Beck, Munich 1996. ( Beck'sche Reihe Wissen 41) ISBN 3-406-41041-3
- The monenergetic-monotheletic dispute . Frankfurt am Main u. a .: Lang 2001 (Berlin Byzantine Studies 6) ISBN 3-631-37377-5
- Literature by and about Friedhelm Winkelmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Friedhelm Winkelmann in the Catalogus Professorum Rostochiensium
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German church historian and Byzantinist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 23, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Landsberg|