Urban Management deals with the development of urban lifestyles, in particular with the urbanization and suburbanization of cities and megacities . Urban Management develops, promotes and strengthens innovative practices in urban policy beyond classic spatial and urban development.
Urban management focuses on the added value-oriented control of spatial transformation processes, in particular the economic, social, infrastructural, ecological, spatial and urban economic contexts, and includes:
- To recognize and describe urban spaces in all facets of the built environment in the context of the various actors,
- Consciously shaping future developments,
- Activate stakeholder groups and involve them in the processes and projects
A variety of methods are used to achieve this (e.g. SWOT analyzes, scenario technology). The results can then be entered and implemented in formal and informal urban planning instruments (B-Plan, integrated urban development concepts, etc.). However, the focus is not on planning content, but on increasing the value of larger areas. Therefore, management tasks are particularly important in urban development processes.
At the United Nations , in the United Nations Program for Human Settlements ( HABITAT ), the Urban Management Program (UMP) was founded in 1986 together with the United Nations Development Program ( UNDP ).
Urban Management is an independent field of study, for example at the
- University of Leipzig - Master of Science in Urban Management
- TU Berlin - Master of Science in Urban Management (in English)
- Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh - Master of Science Sustainable Urban Management
- Ålborg Universitetscenter - Master Urban Planning & Management
- Malmö University of Applied Sciences - Master in Sustainable Urban Management
- University of Western Sydney (UWS) - Master Master of Urban Management and Planning
- University of Zurich - Urban Management continuing education program
- Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies , Erasmus University Rotterdam - Master of Science in Urban Management and Development
- "Urban Management" ( Memento of the original from July 1, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , University of Leipzig , accessed on April 20, 2011
- Bahn, C., Loepfe, A. (2007): Urban Management: Value creation-oriented control of the urban transformation process. CUREM Working Paper 01/2007. Online: http://www.curem.uzh.ch/static/workingpapers/ERES_Urban_Paper-01-07.pdf
- Engelbert Lütke Daldrup in "Master of Science in Urban Management" ( Memento of the original from March 23, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , University of Leipzig , accessed on April 20, 2011