Fritz Geyer (historian)
Fritz Geyer, the son of the grammar school teacher Paul Geyer (1852 – after 1913), attended the Friedrichwerder grammar school in Berlin and after graduating (September 21, 1898) studied history, religious studies , German and geography at the Berlin university . Already on 13 October 1902 he was charged with a study of the topography and history of the Greek island of Euboea Dr. phil. PhD . On January 12, 1904, he passed the teaching examination in the subjects of history, religion, German and geography.
After the exam, Geyer completed the preparatory service for the grammar school teaching position: from Easter 1904 to 1905 the seminar year at the grammar school Steglitz , then the probationary year at the Reformed Realgymnasium in Berlin-Charlottenburg, where he worked as a senior teacher from April 1, 1906 (from 1918 onwards) . During the First World War , Geyer received the Cross of Merit for War Aid on October 16, 1918 . On January 1, 1929, he was appointed a member of the Academic Examination Office for the subject of history.
In addition to the school service, Geyer continued his scientific studies. His research focus was Greek history, especially from the Hellenistic and Imperial times . In the 20s and 30s he wrote study books on ancient history and state theory as well as numerous articles for Paulys Realenzyklopädie der Classical Antiquities (RE).
- Ancient topography and history of the island of Euboia . Two parts, Berlin 1902–1903
- Alexander the Great and the Diadochi . Leipzig 1925. Review by Helmut Berve : Gnomon . Volume 3 (1927), pp. 127-128
- Greek theories of the state: Plato and Aristotle . Munich 1926. Reprint Bielefeld 1941
- Macedonia up to Philip II's accession to the throne. Munich 1930
- Race, people and state in ancient times . Leipzig / Berlin 1936
- Friedrich Cauer : Roman history . 2nd, revised edition, Berlin 1933
- Fritz Geyer’s personnel sheet in the BIL’s personal file in the archive database of the Library for Research on Educational History (BBF)
- Literature by and about Fritz Geyer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Paul Geyer's personal sheet in the personnel file of the BIL reviewer in the archive database of the Library for Research on Educational History (BBF)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Geyer, Fritz Paul (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian and high school teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 15, 1879|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Waltershausen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 22, 1938|
|Place of death||Berlin|