Theißen studied Protestant theology and German literature . After researching the Letter to the Hebrews in 1968 with Philipp Vielhauer, he became Dr. theol. PhD in New Testament . He then took over the position of study inspector at the Evangelical Theological Monastery at the University of Bonn . His habilitation took place in 1972 in the same subject with a formal history work on early Christian miracle stories. In Bonn he was a teacher at the grammar school for the subjects German and religion as well as a private lecturer . In 1978 he accepted a position at the University of Copenhagen , where he a. a. dealt with the Scandinavian psychology of religion at the Uppsala School. From 1980 to 2008 he was a professor at Heidelberg University. He received international attention; most of his books have been translated into English. In 2002 he was awarded the Burkitt Medal for Biblical Studies by the British Academy .
His focus is on the areas of the social history of early Christianity , the historical Jesus , as well as a methodically disciplined psychological exegesis. He was one of the first to study the New Testament using sociological methods. In addition, he has published various volumes of sermons, a homiletics and a didactic Bible . He is co-editor of the journal Evangelical Theology .
From 2007 to September 2009 Theißen was secretary of the Philosophical-Historical Class of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences . At the Heidelberg Academy he is the chairman of the Scientific Commission for the Nietzsche Commentary .
Theißen is married to the psychotherapist Christa Theißen.
Works (selection, chronological)
- Biblical Faith in Evolutionary View , Kaiser, Munich 1984, ISBN 3-459-01542-X .
- The shadow of the Galilean. Historical research on Jesus in narrative form (1986; 15th edition 2001). Special edition Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2004 ISBN 978-3-579-06404-8 .
- Studies on the sociology of early Christianity . (WUNT 19), 3rd edition Mohr, Tübingen 1989, ISBN 3-16-145448-0 .
- Local color and contemporary history in the Gospels. A contribution to the history of the synoptic tradition . 2nd edition Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1992, ISBN 3-525-53522-8 .
- Psychological aspects of Pauline theology , 2nd edition. Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, Göttingen 1993, ISBN 3-525-53566-X .
- Sign language of faith. Chances of the sermon today , Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 1994, ISBN 3-579-02068-4 .
- Sociology of the Jesus Movement. A contribution to the genesis of early Christianity . 7th edition Chr. Kaiser, Gütersloh 1997, ISBN 3-579-05035-4 .
- Signs of life. Sermons and meditations , Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 1998, ISBN 3-579-03079-5 .
- Early Christian miracle stories. A contribution to the historical research into the synoptic gospels . 7th edition Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 1998, ISBN 3-579-04478-8 .
- with Annette Merz : The historical Jesus . 3rd edition Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001, ISBN 3-525-52198-7 .
- The New Testament . Beck'sche series 2192. CH Beck knowledge. Beck, Munich 2002, ISBN 3-406-47992-8 .
- Motivate to the Bible. Tasks, content and methods of open Bible didactics . Kaiser, Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2003, ISBN 3-579-05393-0 .
- The religion of the first Christians. A theory of early Christianity . (2000) 3rd edition Kaiser, Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2003, ISBN 3-579-02623-2 .
- Jesus as a historical figure. Contributions to Jesus research . (FRLANT 202), Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2003, ISBN 3-525-53886-3 .
- The Jesus Movement: Social History of a Revolution of Values . Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2004, ISBN 3-579-06503-3 .
- Evolution , pp. 147-158. In: In the beginning there was (no) a god , ed. by TD Wabbel, Patmos, Düsseldorf 2004.
- The emergence of the New Testament as a literary-historical problem , Universitätsverlag Winter 2007, ISBN 3-8253-5323-0 .
- Experience and behavior of the first Christians. A Psychology of Early Christianity , Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2007, ISBN 978-3-579-08014-7 .
- Beliefs: A Critical Catechism. Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2012, ISBN 978-3-579-08148-9 .
- Polyphonic Understanding: Drafts of Biblical Hermeneutics . Lit, Berlin / Münster 2014, ISBN 978-3-643-12245-2 .
- with Petra von Gemünden : The Letter to the Romans. Accountability of a reformer . Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, Göttingen 2016, ISBN 978-3-525-51013-1 .
- Burkitt Medal for Biblical Studies 2002 ( Memento of November 8, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- NK at the Heidelberg Academy
- Literature by and about Gerd Theißen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Website of the Theological Faculty of the University of Heidelberg on Gerd Theißen
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theologian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 24, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rheydt|