Gerhard Köbler was born the son of an employee and grew up in Fürth. From 1958 he studied law, economics and social science at the Universities of Erlangen and Göttingen . In 1962 he passed the first state examination in law in Celle . On 29 July 1964, he was at Göttingen at Karl Kroeschell "with the work Civis and Civil Ius in German early Middle Ages" doctorate . In 1967 the second state examination in law followed in Munich .
On February 6, 1969 , Köbler completed his habilitation at the University of Göttingen under Karl Kroeschell with the thesis "The Law in the Early Middle Ages". On June 1, 1970, he took up a position as a lecturer at the University of Göttingen and taught at the universities of Marburg , Hamburg , FU Berlin and TU Berlin . On May 4, 1972, he was appointed professor at the University of Göttingen, on September 25, 1975 at the University of Gießen and on March 1, 1986 at the University of Innsbruck .
Gerhard Köbler was co-editor of the Zeitschrift für Rechtsgeschichte from 2000 to 2012 . His main research interests are the history of law and language . Among other things, he has published 15 legal dictionaries ( legal English, legal French, legal Italian, legal Spanish, legal Polish, legal Russian, legal Turkish, legal Chinese, legal Czech, legal Hungarian, legal Finnish, legal Greek, legal Romanian, legal Bulgarian, legal Portuguese). The historical encyclopedia of the German federal states published by Köbler (7th edition in 2007) also attracted a great deal of attention . In addition, he published a Germanic dictionary first published in Gießen in the series of works on law and linguistics in 1980 .
Köbler has published the electronic journal for integrative European legal history since 2010 .
His application for the special seniority allowance for university professors, which was rejected by Austrian authorities, led to a legal dispute with the Republic of Austria and ultimately led to the Köbler decision of the European Court of Justice in 2003 .
- Civis and Ius civile in the German early Middle Ages , jur. Diss., Göttingen 1964.
- Law in the Early Middle Ages , Habil.-Schrift, Göttingen 1969.
- Proto-Germanic Dictionary (5th edition), 2014. online
- Germanic dictionary (= work on law and linguistics. Volume 12). Works-on-Law and Linguistics-Verlag, Giessen-Lahn 1980, ISBN 3-88430-029-6 . on-line
- Etymological legal dictionary . Mohr, Tübingen 1995, ISBN 3-16-146420-6 .
- Historical lexicon of the German states. The German territories from the Middle Ages to the present. 7th, completely revised edition. CH Beck, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-406-54986-1 ( limited preview in the Google book search).
- Historical encyclopedia of the Länder of the Germans , 8th edition 2014 online
- Gerhard Köbler: Person - Publications - Projects
- Literature by and about Gerhard Köbler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Gerhard Köbler in the German Digital Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German legal scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 20, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Fuerth|