Court organization (Vatican City)
The courts of the Vatican State ensure the judiciary in the Vatican City . In 1929 the Court of Justice of the Vatican State ( Italian : Tribunali dello Stato della Città del Vaticano ) was established. Four independent, but associated courts have existed in the Vatican State since November 21, 1987; these include the Vatican City Supreme Court, the Vatican City Court of Appeals, the Vatican City Court of Justice and the Vatican City sole judges. All legal institutions judge on behalf of the Pope , who represents the head of state of the Vatican State .
- 1st instance
- The lowest court level is formed by the single judges of the Vatican State (Italian: Giudice Unico dello Stato della Città del Vaticano ), this institution has been headed by Professor Piero Antonio Bonnet since 2009.
- 2nd instance
- The Court of Justice of the Vatican State (it .: Tribunale dello Stato della Città del Vaticano ) is the second instance, since October 2019 it has been headed by Giuseppe Pignatone as the successor to Giuseppe Dalla Torre del Tempio di Sanguinetto .
- 3rd instance
- In the order of the courts, the third place is the Court of Appeal of the Vatican State (it: Corte di Apello dello Stato Città del Vaticano ). There are six judges working in this court. It is headed by a President; Monsignor Pio Vito Pinto has been appointed to this office since December 10, 2012 , he is also Dean of the Rota Romana .
- 4th instance
- In the highest and last instance stands the court of cassation of the Vatican State (it .: Corte di Cassazione dello Stato della Città del Vaticano ). It has three judges , the president is ex officio the Prefect of the Apostolic Signature (since 2014 the French Dominique Cardinal Mamberti ).
- Francesco Clementi: Città del Vaticano . Il Mulino, 2009, ISBN 978-88-15-13151-5 ( table of contents [PDF]).
- Giuseppe Dalla Torre : L'ordinamento giudiziario . In: Barbara Jatta (Ed.): 1929–2009. Ottanta anni dello Stato della Città del Vaticano . S. 135 ff .
- Law No. CXIX of November 21, 1987, by which the Judicial Order of the State of the Vatican City State was passed, AAS Suppl. 58 (1987), 45-50
- Giudice Unico dello Stato della Città del Vaticano 
- PIERO ANTONIO BONNET Curriculum vitae  (Italian; PDF; 170 kB)
- Tribunale dello Stato della Città del Vaticano 
- Nomina del Presidente del Tribunale dello Stato della Città del Vaticano. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office , October 3, 2019, accessed October 3, 2019 (Italian).
- Corte di Apello dello Stato Vatican City 
- Corte di Cassazione dello Stato della Città del Vaticano