(lat. Signatura Apostolica )
Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature
Supreme Court of the Curia
Court of Cassation of the Rota
Jurisdiction Supreme Court Administrative Authority
|Seat:||Palazzo della Cancelleria
Piazza della Cancelleria, 1
Dominique Cardinal Mamberti
(since November 8, 2014)
Bishop Giuseppe Sciacca
(from September 1, 2016)
The Apostolic Signature ( Latin Signatura Apostolica ), officially the Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature (Latin Supremum Tribunal Signaturae Apostolicae ), was created in 1608 as the highest court of the Roman Curia , starting in the 15th and 16th centuries . Dominique Cardinal Mamberti is currently Prefect of this Court . The Apostolic Signature has its seat in Rome in the Palazzo della Cancelleria . Its basics are given in can. 1445 CIC , regulated in Art. 121–125 of the Apostolic Constitution Pastor Bonus (PB) and in its Lex Propria (LP).
Organization and responsibility
The Court is divided into three sections:
- Section I: Court of Cassation - ordinary jurisdiction (Art. 33 LP, Art. 122 PB , can. 1445 § 1 CIC )
- Cancellation complaints ( querela nullitatis )
- Requests for restitution to the previous state ( petitio restitutionis in integrum )
- Complaints in civil status matters against the rejection of a new treatment of the matter ( novum causae examen )
- Appeals of partiality ( exceptio suspicionis ) and other proceedings against judges of the Roman Rota
- Competence disputes between courts that are not subject to the same court of appeal ( conflictus competentiae inter tribunalia )
- Section II: Council of State or Administrative Court - administrative jurisdiction (Art. 34 LP, Art. 123 PB, can. 1445 § 2 CIC)
- Complaints against administrative acts of dicasteries of the Roman Curia ( recursus adversus actus administrativos )
- Reparation for damage ( reparatio damnorum )
- Disputes over jurisdiction between dicasteries ( conflictus competentiae inter Dicasteria )
- Section III: Ministry of Justice - administrative matters (Art. 35 LP, Art. 124 PB, can. 1445 § 3 CIC)
- Supervision of the orderly administration in the judicial area ( rectae administrationi iustitiae invigilare )
- Proceedings against judicial employees, lawyers or procurators
- Transfer ( commissio ) of a matter to the Roman Rota, dispensation from procedural law or other grace with regard to the administration of justice
- Extension of the jurisdiction of lower courts
- Establishment of special appeals courts or interdiocesan courts
- Annulment of marriages in summary proceedings
- Execution decrees to achieve civil effects ( effectus civiles )
The apostolic signature judges by colleges of five judges, unless the prefect submits the decision to the plenary assembly or orders that a committee of three judges rule on a complaint concerning the rejection of the complaint (Art. 21, Art. 1 § 3 LP).
The prefect makes his decisions regularly in the congress, which also consists of the secretary, the church attorney and the defender of the bond as well as their deputies in the presence of the chancellor (Art. 22, Art. 5 § 2 LP).
Her decisions are not published by herself, but the Apostolic Signature informs about her activities annually in the Attività della Santa Sede . Like all Curia authorities, the Apostolic Signature is subordinate to the Pope .
In addition to the prefect, the apostolic signature currently consists of eleven cardinals, three archbishops and five bishops, who are each appointed by the Pope for five years. Members of the Apostolic Signature are currently:
- Francesco Coccopalmerio (since 2000)
- Antonio María Rouco Varela (since 2004)
- Péter Erdő (since 2004)
- Lluís Martínez Sistach (since 2006)
- Giuseppe Versaldi (since 2007)
- Giovanni Lajolo (since 2010)
- Béchara Pierre Raï OMM (since 2013)
- Agostino Vallini (since 2017)
- Edoardo Menichelli (since 2017)
- Raymond Leo Burke (since 2017)
- Juan José Omella Omella (since 2017)
Other employees of the Apostolic Signature are the secretary (since 2016 Giuseppe Sciacca ), the church attorney (since September 2019 Sebastiano Paciolla OCist ) and the defender of the bond (since September 2019 Nikolaus Schöch OFM ) as well as their deputies, the head of the chancellery and the other court staff .
- Antonio Trivulzio iuniore (October 16, 1557 - June 25, 1559)
- Alessandro Sforza (January 12, 1575 - May 16, 1581)
- Paolo Emilio Sfondrati (1591? - 1610)
- Maffeo Barberini (1610–1623), later Pope Urban VIII.
- Antonio Barberini (Jr.) (1628-1632)
- Benedetto Odescalchi (1647–1650), later Pope Innocent XI.
- Flavio Chigi (July 28, 1661 - November 29, 1661)
- Giacomo Rospigliosi (December 20, 1667 - February 2, 1684)
- Benedetto Pamphili (1685-)
- Fulvio Astalli (September 24, 1693– May 16, 1696)
- Giovanni Giacomo Cavallerini (May 16, 1696 - February 18, 1699)
- Fabrizio Spada (December 4, 1700 - June 15, 1717)
- Bernardino Scotti (November 26, 1718--1720)
- Lorenzo Corsini (November 22, 1720 - July 12, 1730), later Pope Clement XII.
- Alamanno Salviati (July 27, 1730 - February 24, 1733)
- Neri Maria Corsini (1733-1770)
- Andrea Corsini (1770–1795)
- Leonardo Antonelli (1795-1811)
- Antonio Dugnani (1817-1818)
- Diego Innico Caracciolo di Martina (1818-1820)
- Giovanni Battista Quarantotti (1820)
- Pietro Francesco Galleffi (1823-1824)
- Giuseppe Spina (1824-1828)
- Giovanni Francesco Falzacappa (1829-1840)
- Antonio Pallotta (1833-1834)
- Luigi Bottiglia Savoulx (1834–1836)
- Francesco Tiberi (1837-1839)
- Carlo Luigi Morichini (1878–1879)
- Luigi Serafini (1884-1885)
- Isidoro Verga (1885-1888)
- Vincenzo Vannutelli (1908-1914)
- Michele Lega (1914-1920)
- Augusto Silj (1920–1926)
- Francesco Ragonesi (1926–1931)
- Bonaventura Cerretti (1931-1933)
- Enrico Gasparri (1933-1946)
- Massimo Massimi (1946–1954)
- Giuseppe Bruno (1954)
- Gaetano Cicognani , Pro-Prefect (1954–1959)
- Francesco Roberti (1959–1969)
- Dino Staffa (1969-1977)
- Pericle Felici (1977-1982)
- Aurelio Sabattani (1983–1988)
- Achille Silvestrini (1988–1991)
- Gilberto Agustoni (1992-1998)
- Zenon Grocholewski (1998–1999)
- Mario Francesco Pompedda (1999-2004)
- Agostino Vallini (2004-2008)
- Raymond Leo Burke (2008-2014)
- Dominique Mamberti (since 2014)
Filing and statistics
The protocol number (the file number ) consists of a number that has been assigned continuously since 1968, the year of acquisition and a subject area identifier. Example: Prot N. 51354/16 CA. .
There are the following subject area codes; in brackets the number of new additions in 2015 (1547 in total):
- CA: Contentiosus Administrativus (41)
- CC: Conflictus Competentiae (0)
- CG: Contentiosus Iudicialis, Italian "Contenzioso Giudiziario" (9)
- CP: Commissiones Pontificiae (258)
- EC: Effectus Civiles (777 from Italy, 21 from Portugal)
- ES: Examen Sententiarum (7)
- SAT: Status et Activitas Tribunalium (256)
- VAR: Variae (128)
- VT: Vigilantia Tribunalium (50)
- Homepage of the Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature
- Entries on gcatholic.org and catholic-hierarchy.org
Conspectus decisionum quae a Supremo Signaturae Apostolicae Tribunali in ambitu
- contentioso administrativo from 1968 ad annum 2016 latae atque publici iuris factae sunt (187 entries; see also the case law of the Apostolic Signature on administrative disputes )
- iudiciali from 1968 ad annum 2013 latae atque publici iuris factae sunt (51 entries)
- rectae administrationi iustitiae invigilandi from 1968 ad annum 2016 latae atque publici iuris factae sunt (276 entries)
- History of the Signatura (vatican.va, Italian)
- Pastor bonus (1988)
- Lex propria Supremi Tribunalis Signaturae Apostolicae (2008); Nikolaus Schöch: Presentation of the Lex propria, the new procedural rules of the Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature , DPM 15/16 (2008/09) 531–553
- cann. 1619 ff. CIC , cann. 1302 ff. CCEO
- cann. 1645 ff. CIC , cann. 1326 ff. CCEO
- cf. Art. 5 § 2 Dignitas connubii
- Gerhard Neudecker: Ius sequitur vitam - The service of the ecclesiastical courts to the vitality of the law (2013), p. 257
- Attività della Santa Sede : Google Books ;
- Annuario Pontificio per l'anno 2009 , Città del Vaticano 2009, p. 1240.
- Nomina di membri del Supremo Tibunale della Segnatura Apostolica , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of September 2, 2000.
- Nomina di membri del Supremo Tibunale della Segnatura Apostolica , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of April 15, 2004.
- Nomina di membri del Supremo Tibunale della Segnatura Apostolica , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of July 8, 2006.
- Nomina di membri del Supremo Tibunale della Segnatura Apostolica , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of September 15, 2007.
- Nomina di Membri del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of January 25, 2010.
- Nomina di Membri del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, September 30, 2017, accessed September 30, 2017 (Italian).
- Nomina di Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, December 23, 2017, accessed December 23, 2017 (Italian).
- curriculum vitae of Heinrich Mussinghoff on the homepage of the Diocese of Aachen ( Memento from August 12, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Nomina di membro del Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica , in: Holy See Press Office: Daily Bulletin of December 1, 2012.
- Nomine presso il Supremo Tribunale della Segnatura Apostolica. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office , September 25, 2019, accessed September 25, 2019 (Italian).
- Conspectus decisionum : Sigla quae habentur in taboo Lario apud Signaturam Apostolicam
- Attività della Santa Sede 2015 , p. 784