Congregation for Bishops
|Surname:||Congregation for the Bishops
(Latin Congregatio pro Episcopis)
|Seat:||Palazzo delle Congregazioni
Piazza Pio XII, 10
|Cardinal Prefect :||
Marc Cardinal Ouellet PSS
(since June 30, 2010)
Archbishop Ilson de Jesus Montanari
(since October 12, 2013)
(since January 25, 2012)
The Congregation for Bishops ( Latin : Congregatio pro Episcopis ), or Bishops' Congregation for short , is a central authority in the Roman Catholic Church and is responsible for all matters that concern bishops , such as appointments and synods .
This dicastery was already established by Pope Sixtus V with the Apostolic Constitution Immensa Aeterni Dei of January 22, 1588 as a consistorial congregation. With the Constitution Sapienti consilio of June 29, 1908, Pope Pius X extended the powers and took over the post of prefect himself .
Pope Paul VI changed the name again with the Apostolic Constitution Regimini ecclesiae universae of August 15, 1967 and specified the competencies. With the Constitution Pastor Bonus of June 28, 1988, Pope John Paul II reorganizes the relationship with the Congregation for the Eastern Churches and the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples .
On June 29, 1988 the Directory for the Visita “ ad limina ” was published and at the same time an office for its coordination was established within the Congregation.
In 1997 an instruction on the diocesan synods was issued.
A decree of the Congregation of April 22, 2001 constituted the Central Office for the Coordination of Military Ordinariats.
On February 22, 2004 the Directory for the Pastoral Service of Bishops was published: Apostolorum Successores .
She is also assigned the Pontifical Commission for Latin America , of which Cardinal Ouellet is also President; The office of Vice President is currently vacant.
In addition to the prefect, the congregation itself consists of 24 cardinals, 5 archbishops and a bishop who were appointed by Pope i. d. Usually appointed for five years at a time.
On December 16, 2013, Pope Francis named the members of the Congregation as follows:
- Tarcisio Bertone SDS (confirmed 2013)
- George Pell (since 2012; confirmed 2013)
- Antonio Cañizares Llovera (since 2009; confirmed 2013)
- Agostino Vallini (since 2006; confirmed 2013)
- André Vingt-Trois (since 2008; confirmed 2013)
- Leonardo Sandri (since 2010; confirmed 2013)
- Giovanni Lajolo (since 2008; confirmed 2013)
- Stanisław Ryłko (since 2008; confirmed 2013)
- Francesco Monterisi (since 2012; confirmed 2013)
- Santos Abril y Castelló (since 2011; confirmed 2013)
- Giuseppe Bertello (since 2012; confirmed 2013)
- Giuseppe Versaldi (since 2012; confirmed 2013)
- Lorenzo Baldisseri (since 2013)
- Gualtiero Bassetti (since 2013)
- João Braz de Aviz (since 2013)
- Rubén Salazar Gómez (since 2013)
- Kurt Koch (since 2013)
- Vincent Gerard Nichols (since 2013)
- Francisco Robles Ortega (since 2013)
- Beniamino Stella (since 2013)
- Donald Wuerl (since 2013)
- Pietro Parolin (since 2013)
- Bladder Joseph Cupich (since 2016, confirmed 2017)
- Juan José Omella Omella (since 2017)
- Claudio Maria Celli (since 2009; confirmed 2013)
- José Octavio Ruiz Arenas (since 2007; confirmed 2013)
- Paolo Rabitti (since 2013)
- Giacinto Berloco (since 2017)
- Michel Aupetit (since 2018)
- Felix Genn (since 2013)
- from 1908 to 1967 the Pope
- Carlo Cardinal Confalonieri (1966 pro-prefect) (1967–1973)
- Cardinal Sebastiano Baggio (1973–1984)
- Bernardin Cardinal Gantin (1984–1998)
- Lucas Cardinal Moreira Neves OP (1998-2000)
- Giovanni Battista Cardinal Re (2000-2010)
- Marc Cardinal Ouellet PSS (2010-2013; since 2013)
- Domenico Cardinal Riviera (1710-1730)
- Carlo Zen (1819-1825)
- Gaetano Cardinal Baluffi (1845–1846)
- Carmine Cardinal Gori-Merosi (1882-1886)
- Patriarch Carlo Nocella (1892–1903)
- Gaetano Cardinal de Lai (1908–1928)
- Carlo Cardinal Perosi (1928–1930)
- Raffaele Carlo Cardinal Rossi OCD (1930–1948)
- Adeodato Giovanni Cardinal Piazza OCD (1948–1957)
- Marcello Cardinal Mimmi (1957–1961)
- Carlo Cardinal Confalonieri (1961-1965)
- Francesco Carpino (1965-1967)
- Ernesto Civardi (1967–1979)
- Lucas Moreira Neves OP (1979–1987)
- Giovanni Battista Re (1987-1989)
- Justin Francis Rigali (1989-1994)
- Jorge María Mejía (1994-1998)
- Francesco Monterisi (1998-2009)
- Manuel Monteiro de Castro (2009–2012)
- Lorenzo Baldisseri (2012-2013)
- Ilson de Jesus Montanari (since 2013)
- Homepage of the Congregation for Bishops
- Entry on Congregation for Bishops on catholic-hierarchy.org ; Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Conferma del Prefetto della Congregazione per i Vescovi e nomine e conferme di membri e consultori nel medesimo dicastero , in: Press Office of the Holy See: Daily Bulletin of December 16, 2013 (Italian)
- Nomina di Membri dei Dicasteri della Curia Romana. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, December 23, 2017, accessed December 23, 2017 (Italian).
- Nomina di Membro della Congregazione per i Vescovi. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office , March 8, 2017, accessed March 8, 2017 (Italian).
- Nomina di Membro della Congregazione per i Vescovi. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, December 22, 2018, accessed December 22, 2018 (Italian).
- Dicasteries of the Roman Curia temporarily confirmed , Vatican Radio , March 16, 2013