Giovanni Battista Re
Giovanni Battista Cardinal Re (born January 30, 1934 in Borno , Province of Brescia , Italy ) is a retired Curia Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and cardinal dean of the College of Cardinals since 2020 .
Giovanni Battista Re was born into a family of artisans; his father was a carpenter. He grew up in Valcamonica . In 1945 he entered the Minor Seminary of the Diocese of Brescia . In 1957 he received the sacrament of ordination . He completed a doctoral degree at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome , at the end of which he was awarded a doctoral degree in canon law . He then worked from 1960 to 1961 as a lecturer at the seminary of Brescia . From 1962 to 1963 he studied at the Pontifical Diplomatic Academy and then entered the diplomatic service of the Vatican . On July 1, 1964, Pope Paul VI awarded him . the honorary title of Surplus Secret Chamberlain to His Holiness .
He worked in Panama and Iran before being called back to Rome to serve as personal secretary to the Cardinal Secretary of State . 1979 became Re Assessor in the Vatican State Secretariat ; in addition, Pope John Paul II awarded him the title of Honorary Prelate of His Holiness on January 18 of the same year .
On October 9, 1987, John Paul II appointed him titular archbishop of Forum Novum and secretary of the Congregation for Bishops. The episcopal ordination donated him John Paul II on 7 November of the same year. St. Peter's Basilica ; Co- consecrators were Archbishop Eduardo Martínez Somalo and Archbishop Bruno Foresti . On December 12, 1989, Re was appointed official of the State Secretariat.
On September 16, 2000, Giovanni Battista Re was appointed Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and President of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America by John Paul II , and on February 21, 2001, he was admitted to the College of Cardinals as a cardinal priest with the titular Church of Santi XII Apostoli . On October 1, 2002 he was raised to Cardinal Bishop of Sabina-Poggio Mirteto .
Battista Re was valid until the election of Benedict XVI. in public as papabile . Benedict XVI. confirmed Re in all of his offices following his election in 2005. On June 30, 2010, Benedict XVI. a resignation request submitted by Re for reasons of age.
After the resignation of Benedict XVI. Cardinal Re was drawn on March 4, 2013 as assistant to Cardinal Camerlengos (as a representative of the Cardinal Bishops). He was a member of the special congregation for three days, which regulated subordinate issues during the vacancy. As the highest-ranking Cardinal Bishop with voting rights, Giovanni Battista Re presided over the 2013 conclave . Even before the conclave, Re was considered a close friend of the future Pope Francis, Jorge Mario Cardinal Bergoglio .
On June 10, 2017, after the resignation of Cardinal Roger Etchegaray from the post of Subdean of the College of Cardinals, Cardinal Re was appointed as the new Cardinal Subdean by the six Cardinal Bishops who hold a suburbicarian diocese. The election was confirmed by Pope Francis. In January 2020 he was elected Cardinal Dean to succeed Angelo Sodano . On January 18, Pope Francis confirmed the election and also awarded him the suburbicarian diocese of Ostia, which is connected to the Dean's office .
- 1981: Grand Officer of the Portuguese Order of Christ
- 1985: Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- 1990: Grand Cross of the Portuguese Order of Christ
- 1992: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- 1995: Ix-Xirka Ġieħ ir-Repubblika
- 1997: Grand Cross of the Order de Isabel la Católica
- 1999: Great Golden Decoration on Ribbon for Services to the Republic of Austria
- 1999: Commander with the Star of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
- 2004: Grand Officer of the Star of Romania
- 2010: Commander with the Star of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland
- 2012: Order of Constantine
- Giovanni Cardinal Re , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 21/2009 from May 19, 2009, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- Re, Giovanni Battista. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed August 13, 2016.
- Entry on Giovanni Battista Re on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on August 13, 2016.
- Approvazione dell'elezione del Decano e del Vice-Decano del Collegio Cardinalizio. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, January 25, 2020, accessed January 25, 2020 (Italian).
- Annuario Pontificio per l'anno 1968. Città del Vaticano 1968, p. 1725.
- Annuario Pontificio per l'anno 1982. Città del Vaticano 1982, p. 1936.
- Rinuncia del Prefetto della Congregazione per i Vescovi e del Presidente della Pontificia Commissione per l'America Latina e Nomina del Successore. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, September 16, 2000, accessed November 13, 2015 (Italian).
- Promozione all'Ordine dei Vescovi dell'Em.mo Card. Giovanni Battista Re. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, October 1, 2002, accessed November 13, 2015 (Italian).
- Rinuncia del Prefetto della Congregazione per i Vescovi e di Presidente della Pontificia Commissione per l'America Latina e nomina del successore. In: Daily Bulletin. Holy See Press Office, June 30, 2010, accessed November 12, 2015 (Italian).
- Jörg Bremer: The favor of a peaceful minute. Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , February 11, 2015, accessed on November 12, 2015 .
- Jorge: Encounters with who did not want to become Pope
- Real Decreto 505/1997, de 14 de April, por el que se concede la Gran Cruz de la Orden de Isabel la Católica al excelentísimo y reverendísimo Monseñor Giovanni Battista Re, Sustituto para los Asuntos Generales de la Secretaría de Estado de la Santa Sede . In: Boletin Oficial del Estado. Gobierno de Espagna, April 15, 1997, accessed November 12, 2015 (Spanish).
- List of all decorations awarded by the Federal President for services to the Republic of Austria from 1952. April 23, 2012, accessed on November 12, 2015 (PDF; 6.9 MB).
- Bali, Cavalieri di Gran Croce di Giustizia. (No longer available online.) Sacro Militare Ordine Constantiniano di San Giorgio, archived from the original on November 17, 2015 ; accessed on November 13, 2015 (Italian, PDF).
|Angelo Cardinal Sodano||
|Roger Cardinal Etchegaray||
|Leonardo Cardinal Sandri|
|Lucas Cardinal Moreira Neves OP||
Cardinal Bishop of Sabina-Poggio Mirteto
|Lucas Cardinal Moreira Neves OP||
Prefect of the Congregation for Bishops
|Marc Cardinal Ouellet PSS|
|Edward Idris Cassidy||
Substitute for the Vatican State Secretariat
|Lucas Moreira Neves OP||
Secretary of the Congregation for Bishops
|Justin Francis Rigali|
|SURNAME||Re, Giovanni Battista|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Re, Giovanni Battista Cardinal (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian Cardinal Curia of the Roman Catholic Church|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 30, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Borno , Province of Brescia, Italy|